As a long-term shooter of Walther PCP Match rifles, I am looking at buying my first Walther Dominator for bench rest and possibly outdoor target use (with a scope) and suddenly realise that I know nothing about the Dominators development from the first type to those currently available.

As this will be a used purchase, I would like to try to find out a little more about them before buying one.

I am aware that many of the LG300 and LG400 mechanical parts are shared with the Dominators but at some stage during its production history the stock shape changed from a fairly traditional shape made from wood, to something a little more modern that was available with both a laminated wooden stock and an alloy stock.

I am looking at a Walther Dominator with a blue laminate stock later next week and believe it will be one for the early type LG300 based Dominators that had a more "conventional" style of stock shape.........possibly........

Any information about the history of the changes made from the early LG300 based Dominators to the current LG400 based Dominators would be appreciated and help me to identify them apart form each other.