Thread: Walther Dominator.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The factory LG400 FT doesn't have a recoil compensator, converted 10m versions often retain the compensator/stabiliser. The 400 has a lighter, smaller, hammer and valve than the LG300 Dominator. Both rifles use the same regulator and have the same excellent trigger parts.

The very earliest Dominators came with a smooth-sided regulator and had a conical firing valve seat. Most of these very early guns will have been updated over the last 20 odd years. These earliest Dominators also have a different-shaped action under the stock line. The main action screw has no flat surface behind it - the rifle was supplied with a weird hollow square section between the main block and forward A-clamp which formed a unified action which sat in the alutec or wooden chassis. Most people ditched this square section tube and floated the barrel. These early guns also had shorter barrels than the later guns. The later rifles came with carbon barrel sleeves. The letters 'LG' on the block of these early LG300 Dominators are more upright than on the later rifles. At some point the cocking lever changed from a pin to a larger paddle. Given a choice I'd go for a later rifle as that action shape is easier to fix in the stock/chassis using a single main screw. Mine's a very early one from 2001.

At very high milage the cocking lug on the hammer can wear through the black anodising of the action causing great mischief. Mine has had a steel insert placed into the alloy block to act as a bearing surface. The pellet probe thing subtly bends over thousands of rounds but it doesn't seem to cause any grief.

The dovetails of the 300 and 400 having differing profiles.

I've had my Dominator since about 2006 or 2007, it's been brilliant. I've got an LG400 Expert 10m rifle and that's lovely too. Nice tools.
    Best Regards

Simon

I've got some slug guns.

You contribution is really informative Simon, with lots of interesting detail gained from your own experience and observation.

You have given me some helpful "pointers" to look out for when looking at buying an LG300 Dominator.

Many thanks!

Bob.
    Last edited by zooma; 28-03-2023 at 10:26 AM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.