Thread: Problems powder coating cast bullets.

Problems powder coating cast bullets.

I'm having problems with the above. I've got the Electrostaticmagic gun and it really works great. The problem comes after the coatings done.. I CAN'T GET THE BULLETS OFF THE TRAY!!!!!.

The bullets have to go on a metal tray because they have to be earthed but of course the tray also gets powder coated and once they whole thing has been in the oven the bullets are pretty much stuck to the tray.

I tried a sheet of perforated steel which is a bit easier. The pattern is 60% open so there's less contact area between bullet and tray, but it's still not easy. I also tried a steet of stainless steel (not perforated) and they were REALLY stuck.

One other thing to mention is that one batch I actually forgot to use the earth lead.. didn't seem to make any difference, they still powder coated really well.

I'm wondering if I could spray the tray with something (WD40 or something) before positioning the bullets so the powder coat wouldn't stick to it.

Any ideas?????

Put a sheet of tinfoil down first. Instant gas check!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

After powder coat is applied move them onto a teflon coated baking tray useing tweezers to stand them up and then bake.

having never done this, Im only here to offer the advice of ' watch FortuneCookie45LC on youtube ' - he has several videos about the subject that seem pretty extensive and informative
    Donald

What ‘gun’ & powder coat are you using as I’m thinking of giving it a go .

Ta
    James

I tried the tinfoil but it leaves a rim of paint around the bullet base.

Will give the tweezers a go.

@ James, the gun is an Electrostaticmagic system. See link below. I've been really impressed with it.You will also need a small compressor.

https://www.electrostaticmagic.co.uk/

For all you need to know about powder coating bullet's.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/for...d-Alternatives

Thanks for the info 👍

I use the 'Shake and Bake' method with ice cream tub and airsoft balls.
    I then put on baking tray which is lined with either plasticky heatproof mesh (from Aliexpress) or very fine metal mesh (from friend, he said it was mossie window mesh). Both prevent any sticking after curing, and just a very minor criss-cross pattern at projectile base.
    1000s projectiles later, I remain very pleased.

I did 200 44-40 200gr and 200 357 158gr HP's today using a home made electrostatic gun with foil as the conductor the moved onto a Teflon coated plate with tweezer's then baked for 20 min.