Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primos Gen 2 or Gen 3 for HFT?

Primos Gen 2 or Gen 3 for HFT?

Following comments on my recent other thread about Shooting (trigger) sticks I am reaching the conclusion that I should try them for HFT. Why? Well age takes its toll and I admit that although I can do it at the moment, getting up from prone is a tad uncomfortable on the old back and arthritic wrists. So, maybe sticks would help.
    I have watched the review of the Primos Gen 2 by Gary Chillingworth and was quite impressed with the use of the sticks for both pcp and springer ... I shoot both. So I have no qualms about springers and sticks.

But there is also the Gen 3 to consider: again I have watched a review of both the gen 2 and gen 3 but which is best for HFT? I do not hunt so that does not come into the equation.
    Any advice anyone before I splash out?

Cheers, Phil

I have not shot FT or HFT for a while but would be surprised that they would allow adjustable tripods like primos unless they grant medical dispensation. Plus some shots that may be okay for left/right short n tall may not be possible such as forced prone.

Plus some have dedicated kneeling or prone lanes.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

I've never shot hft, but I can't see how any form of outside support can possibly be within the rules

To bring you up to date:
    HFT now allows a stick class (paraHFT at Maulden and district HFT club, MAD) for those people who have difficulty getting up/down on an HFT course. Cambridge HFT club refer to it as 'Assisted' class I believe. I guess other HFT clubs have admitted it as well. It has even been sanctioned for the UKAHFT competitions.

I do not know about FT.

Cheers, Phil

That makes sense. When I was on the HFT circuit, Due to neuropathy, bending my toes was extremely painful so kneelers were lmkillers for me. Sticks is a new one on me and whilst I am surprised, its not a bad thing. Just makes a course setters task more tricky
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Thank you, I'll consider myself updated & better informed.

Having owned a primos gen 2 bipod, gen 2 tripod, gen 3 tripod (with 2 point rifle support) & '4 stable sticks' alloy quad sticks,
    the quad sticks win every time & I would NOT recommend the primos sticks.

I have recently joined Maldon and district (MAD) Hft club.
    And they do indeed have the stick class for the less mobile and older shooters.
    I have just bought myself a Primos gen 2 tripod,and I am going to have a go at some Hft.
    The sticks allow some of the older shooters ( 60-80+) to still compete and enjoy their shooting .
    I am a newbie regarding stick shooting and it takes some getting use to.
    The gen 2 tripod is a nice bit of kit and I am happy with my one.
    Les..

We're waiting for the rules for the stick class in UKAHFT to be published. I suspect quads, and any device to clamp, or offer two supports for, the rifle won't be permitted, though until the rules are published, we won't know for sure.

I stand corrected Jim .. sorry for that. From various comments on STB I thought it was all but 'done and dusted'.

Cheers, Phil
    Last edited by Phil Russell; 14-02-2023 at 09:10 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    I stand corrected Jim .. sorry for that. From various comments on here I thought it was all but 'done and dusted'.

Cheers, Phil
    I suspect it is done and dusted, Phil, but we (the Nomads course setters) are not aware of anything yet published.

The most recent rules on the UKAHFT site are those for 2022, and no mention of sticks.

Ive used primos 2 and now have 3, very little difference but the 3 has quick change heads and the legs can be locked at shallow angles, the trigger is the same system and works well, very light to.

Im starting HFT stick class too and as yet haven’t seen much else used, there are other tripods of course

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Quote Originally Posted by 32:1 View Post
    Ive used primos 2 and now have 3, very little difference but the 3 has quick change heads and the legs can be locked at shallow angles, the trigger is the same system and works well, very light to.

Im starting HFT stick class too and as yet haven’t seen much else used, there are other tripods of course

Chris
    As, like me you've had both, I have to ask do you feel the head on the gen 3 is stable ? because on mine it was appalling with loads of wobble, Utter rubbish compared to the gen 2.
    I also thought the V bracket on the gen 3 was far to wide, by comparison, & failed to give any lateral support, and also found the leg angle-lock a proper faff to use.

Yep, the rules for sticks class are being drafted as we speak. Not sure if they have made their way into the ukahft yet but I do know that there will a dedicated sticks class for the whfta worlds 2023. I've just messaged a couple of mates who are currently shooting sticks class and are using the gen3
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    As, like me you've had both, I have to ask do you feel the head on the gen 3 is stable ? because on mine it was appalling with loads of wobble, Utter rubbish compared to the gen 2.
    I also thought the V bracket on the gen 3 was far to wide, by comparison, & failed to give any lateral support, and also found the leg angle-lock a proper faff to use.
    I wont use the leg lock but its a feature that will help guys that sit and shoot, I thought the head unit was more flexy than the mk2 until I fumbled about with my friends mk2 and there’s not much in it, Ive swapped my V yoke for a padded support but cant work out which is better in use.

I only sold my mk2 as I was unable to carry on using NV due to health issues and now a couple of years later Ive bought another set for this sticks hft class, had to cough at the new prices though

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

The rules for stocks class are now on the UKAHFT site.

No rifle clamping device, single point of rifle/leading hand support, and no quads.