Thread: Webley Hurricane (Turkish) - a Question

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

Webley Hurricane (Turkish) - a Question

Currently the following Hurricane is pictured in the Adam Partridge auction catalogue (https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...027b11b3f9ed79)

It appears to be silver in finish, and at first glance I thought that someone had been a bit heavy handed with a spray can, but a closer look suggested it might be original, especially as the original lettering appears to be untouched.

Is this a rare finish that was offered by Webley that I’ve never come across before? Could it be a clever spray job, or could it just be a trick of the light in the photography ? Pity I can’t get to see it in the flesh.

Anyone any ideas ?

nishijin is offline They dare not speak his name in hushed tones
    Looks like a very poor photograph where the camera has auto'd the exposure looking for a mid-grey. This happens with most cameras and also on modern phones.

Unless you use a grey-card, you'll get this on a black surface, but also with snow. A camera tries to automatically adjust exposure to suit a mid-grey, and failing that, a dark or light surface will take its place.

I suspect it may be a combination of the lighting conditions and possibly the plastic aging. Though in the grand scheme of things they are not that old, the plastic on one of the 2 early ones I have is taking on the faded milky white aging plastic look. That one has been out the box, the other kept out the light. Might be 'repaired' by some car bumper restorer, but I've yet to try.

And it's a Typhoon, not a Hurricane...

Here we go, so considering that is going to be a crushed velvet surface, it should be pure black. This is clipping some of the gamut and you start to see the improper colouring on the handle where the light was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    And it's a Typhoon, not a Hurricane...
    Sorry - Freudian slip!

So a trick of the light seems to be the answer. If that background was black velvet, this would mean that the whole picture was grossly over exposed.

What puzzles me then, is why is the lettering still clearly visible. Wouldn't you expect it to be burnt out if overexposed? Also, wouldn't that red stripe look pale pink?

It’s still bloody horrible, whatever colour is actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Come on, don't sugar coat it tell us how it really is

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    If anything, an understatement

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Sure it's not the Alan Partridge collection?

urx is offline 2,602.00 GBP −10.00 (0.38%) at the close
    I think I want to use the word disgusting here...that is one fugly gun
    Gun control means using both hands.

OK. Thanks for all the fashion notes. Anyone likely to be going to view this auction who might be able to enlighten us?

Mmm, I bought one of these a few months ago, tried a couple of pellets through it, then sold it for someone else to be disappointed with..
    Without doubt, the worst Webley, ever..
    ATB
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by guitardan View Post
    Mmm, I bought one of these a few months ago, tried a couple of pellets through it, then sold it for someone else to be disappointed with..
    Without doubt, the worst Webley, ever..
    ATB
    Dan
    They never were a REAL Webley, just a cheap imitation of something (even though I have one).
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

I contacted the auctioneers, asking if the photo’s of the gun were a true representation of the colour, and they evidently were not, as they told me that they were now going to put up a better set of images. This they have done and here are two of the new pics:

Despite a big change to the background, which now has colour, the pistol still looks a lot greyer than the norm. So I think ashf9999 (post 3 above) may have hit the nail on the head.

Given the general opinions expressed about this model, I think this might be going for a song, if anyone wants one for their collection.