Thread: Was the sweat spot for BSA imports to the US the early 1920s?

Was the sweat spot for BSA imports to the US the early 1920s?

Both BSA Lights I have in my collection were from the very early 1920’s. I’m seeing a 1921? BSA Light for sale right now. It seems at this time the American Equipment Company of New York City was importing BSA air rifles. Have correspondence from them dated 1920. I can get no information on them. Looks like these imports were short lived? I believe Stoeger had BSA rifles for a time but wonder if American Equipment Company was more successful but for a very short time?

Well, it does seem like the importer was trying to raise a sweat among potential buyers! Notice the 800 fps claim for .177, and the assertion that would be 4 times any other airgun.

Don R.

I love old ads & things like that letter,

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

I think there was a drop off in UK gun sales in the aftermath of the carnage of WW1, so it may be that at that time there was a push to build the US export market. I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if BSA sweetened the deals available to importers to speed things along?

Maybe John Mil can answer this one?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

This was aimed at the US market in 1921:

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Also a factor is Crosman introduced its rifle at a much cheaper price in the mid 1920’s. So BSA may have had domestic competition they could really compete with effectively? Thus window for good sales was just a few years?

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I think there was a drop off in UK gun sales in the aftermath of the carnage of WW1, so it may be that at that time there was a push to build the US export market. I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if BSA sweetened the deals available to importers to speed things along?

Maybe John Mil can answer this one?
    Not much I can add to that Danny, although there were importers offering the BSA air rifle in the U.S. during WW1.

Your theory makes sense but I've not seen anything concrete much beyond the Production Company's adverts that have already been copied in this thread.

I agree the letter is a great find.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

This strange bit of advertising came out in circa 1920:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....etc/#post-1157
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Maybe saying the obvious but if we look at the Stoeger catalog where they are selling both BSA’s and Crosman it becomes pretty obvious why BSA’s seem to be almost non existent here after the mid 1920’s and Crosman brings out their 101. Look at the price difference, the BSA more than 4 times the price of a 101. The Crosman looks like a rifle Americans are used to? And I have shot both recently the Crosman with an aperture only design gives my BSA a run for the money at my 60 foot target range. They were a no joke value at the time and sold at hardware stores not Stoeger only catalogs. And these early ones were some of the best they made. Below are both my 1920 examples I shoot regularly. The Crosman stock 1920 valves.

Last edited by 45flint; 30-03-2023 at 02:27 PM.