Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Have a word with yourself, Hans...

the early hw 95 had the best looking chequering I reckon

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    I'm not sure I agree. Sure, the fish scale and scroll work on various AA rifles is absolutely awful - but I think, deep breath, lettering, a logo, triple borders, stippling and chequering mixed, on this latest HW offering maybe the biggest horror show to appear on a production stock yet.
    I’m with you on that .

Quote Originally Posted by HW777 View Post
    Silicon carbide grit is a much better alternative to sand Craig.

Black grippy panels look good on a stock imo.

Atb

John
    I don't doubt that mate.
    I'm just saying a painted on, 'texture' has been proven for years as the most practical, most cost effective and tactile contact - but how many owners will do that to their select walnut stock? Or even their new beech stock?
    I chequer stocks for Miroku, Blaser and Krieghoff, to name a few brands. These guns are tools for pure trophy hunting of one kind or another - but I certainly don't get many arriving with a brief asking me to wallop it over with a two inch brush coated in resin and sand ( to be fair, it would be a lot easier if they did! )
    If we all went for form over function on our sporting air rifles, then we'd all be using matt coloured, semi autos.
    And then the very same people who'd spouted this utter cobblers would then be complaining that air rifles shouldn't resemble military rifles...
    And then we'd have another, hugely dull and pointless debate...
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    I don't doubt that mate.
    I'm just saying a painted on, 'texture' has been proven for years as the most practical, most cost effective and tactile contact - but how many owners will do that to their select walnut stock? Or even their new beech stock?
    I chequer stocks for Miroku, Blaser and Krieghoff, to name a few brands. These guns are tools for pure trophy hunting of one kind or another - but I certainly don't get many arriving with a brief asking me to wallop it over with a two inch brush coated in resin and sand ( to be fair, it would be a lot easier if they did! )
    If we all went for form over function on our sporting air rifles
    That begs the question, does Weihrauch stock checkering add grip And is the Hw98's grips nothing more than paint over stippling ?

Press stamped or is that steam pressed Checkering is almost pointless once the stock has been dipped in varnish.

Lazer cut could be good if not for the wacky designs they keep thinking up

And as many men do not have your skills on their door step for a bit of proper hand cut checkering

I'll let you ponder as too what maybe some of my gripping ideas
    Hw77+7

Anything steeped in a gallon of true oil or spar varnish will obviously lose its feel - even if it’s been cut with a chainsaw.
    Just as laser cut chequering will never be as sharp as hand cut, due to its nature of being burned in, this removing the sharpened tip of the diamond.
    That’s what my initial post was all about - it’s capability of the laser over function.
    And definitely taste…
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation