Thread: Webley mark three servicing

Webley mark three servicing

I’ve tried searching but the search results come up as mainly for sale threads or other random Webley, I’m very surprised but I guess there is some weird ness with the search function.
    Could I get some advice on servicing my Webley please?

https://imgur.com/a/8feYl9k
    Let’s see if this works, currently I would struggle to hit a bus if I was inside it. It’s incredibly stiff to cock and it smokes
    I have a spring with a square section, is this wrong? I was expecting a round spring.
    Does this photo show enough to say if the seal looks right?
    The rifle smoked when shot and seemed over oiled, but no grease on the moving parts.

I’m thinking I need to thoroughly clean it, replace the leather seal including soaking it in oil, replace the spring and apply grease on the internals. So basically do I need oil, grease, seal, spring? Anything else I should consider doing?

I’ve seen a post about making the leather washers but I could not find information on how thick it should be, or should I just buy the kit?

I would appreciate any advice and links to information, especially if it has photos or diagrams.
    Cheers

Photo seems to work. Should I just be able to tap the pellet trap to remove it? I mean the bit in the second photo with the ball bearing on it.
    Should that spring that runs into the pellet trap be clean? Mine looks like there is something inside it.

Bin the spring to start with and fit a normal mk3 spring, don't over lube as it will cause diesling.

Good gun when running right.
    Enjoy👍🇬🇧
    snarepeg.

As already said, replace the non-standard (probably an Ox) spring with a genuine Webley one, or equivalent and while you have the gun dismantled it is probably worth replacing the leather piston washer. Grease the new spring before inserting and of course soak the washer in oil before re-fitting. It is also worth cleaning out the air chamber before re-assembly.
    Spares usually available from Knibbs or Chambers.

If you go to Collectable Airguns, there is a sticky at the top 'Idiots Guide to Classic Airgun Strips'. This includes all the classic Webleys.
    PS Don't go too heavy on the grease.

HTH

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Difficult to be sure from photo but seal looks good so may just need softening. Can be done by soaking in Neatsfoot or 3 in 1 oil and massaging.
    Once pliable remove all excess oil by squeezing in dry paper/rags. When refitting the seal, avoid pushing it past the tube threads. It will snag and shred.
    Twisting along the threads is best or make a thin sleeve over the threads from old film negative or similar.
    The spring is not factory fitment. Can supply specs. for a replacement if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Difficult to be sure from photo but seal looks good so may just need softening. Can be done by soaking in Neatsfoot or 3 in 1 oil and massaging.
    Once pliable remove all excess oil by squeezing in dry paper/rags. When refitting the seal, avoid pushing it past the tube threads. It will snag and shred.
    Twisting along the threads is best or make a thin sleeve over the threads from old film negative or similar.
    The spring is not factory fitment. Can supply specs. for a replacement if need be.
    Thanks, I managed to find the measurements in this thread.
    https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...asher-question

Softer spring. Polished trigger/ sear. And shot it lots.
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

If you don't have any joy, then my mates, Ray ( aBellRinger on here ) - or Shaun, ( Spartan on here ) will be able to sort it for you. Both of them have worked on my MK3's and both are a fountain of knowledge.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    If you don't have any joy, then my mates, Ray ( aBellRinger on here ) - or Shaun, ( Spartan on here ) will be able to sort it for you. Both of them have worked on my MK3's and both are a fountain of knowledge.

What is their view, I wonder, on the other thread here, about using synthetic washers instead of traditional leather washers for the Mk3?
    Rgds
    A

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Have you got those measurements for specs, the old one I took out and the replacement I got from Knibbs are about 230mm long which is about 20mm shorter than the info I found in the above link?

I recorded spring dimensions from a near-new Mark 3 as: OD .84" (21.3 mm), wire dia .129" (3.28 mm), total coils 30 (including tapered tails), length 9.16" (233 mm). Length is less important than the other dimensions, as the spring will set its length in use.

Don R.

Got two bought as "new old stock" but no provenance. 236 x 21,5 x 3.2 wire x 30 coils total x 35 lb /inc rate
    The other is same spec but 247 long