Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling my current air rifle. What do you suggest?

Selling my current air rifle. What do you suggest?

Morning all.
    Selling my Air Arms Pro Sport .22 with Walnut stock (in the for sale section)
    I am looking for advice for my next purchase if I am prepared to add a few hundred quid to what I get off the Pro Sport.
    Havent used mine for a while and looking for something to get me back into it.
    Quite fancied the air bottle charging scenario and multiple shots but is it too much of a faff if Im not going to be using it every week?
    General advice wanted please and apologies if this is a bit vague !

Depends what you’re looking to do shooting-wise. Plus other variables, as you could get a pcp and use a pump as long as you don’t have any conditions that might restrict you using one. Or if you shoot at a club that has free air and never go out in a field then it’s moot.

Pcps range from 20 ish to 400+ shots per charge for bottle guns, so really does all come down to what you’re looking to use it for.

Why did you fall out of love with the PS or shooting in the first place? The PS is a heavy ol bit of kit and any pcp will see you walking straighter if that was a factor!

Edit: reference faff and hassle if not using every week, my pcps sit for weeks/months without use and as long as they are kept with air in and serviced sensibly, I’ve yet to have any problems aside from degrading rings which is no more frequent than piston or breech seals on a springer, really.
    Last edited by MeHadger; 30-03-2023 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Missed a bit!

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    The pro sport is a very hard springer to beat.

It is the ultimate hunting rifle.
    Master Debater

I prefer the tx200s, but that's just me. Atb mick

I’d agree in that a tuned mk2 TX in .22 is all the springer anyone will ever need �� but the chap is asking about recommendations for moving to a multi shot pcp ��

For the £650 ish budget bottle gun, I would (controversially) suggest looking for a sorted used R10 Se, in .177. When I say sorted, I mean reg replaced and upgraded, personally.

For a non bottle pcp it’d be an ultra, scorpion or maybe s200 but they don’t appeal to me so much.

Get to a shop or club and shoulder everything you can and shoot anything you’re allowed to and see what works for you ����

think you are selling ultimate Springer.....I have moved away from pcp because of leaks and bottles going out of date ....I got a pump but at 66 too much for me .......my advice keep what you got

I would pick something with a large shot count and a used model.
    You can fill up the rifle at home and forget about it, unless you shoot more than 3-400 shots per session.
    That is no hassle at all.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Quote Originally Posted by jacko1971 View Post
    Morning all.
    Selling my Air Arms Pro Sport .22 with Walnut stock (in the for sale section)
    I am looking for advice for my next purchase if I am prepared to add a few hundred quid to what I get off the Pro Sport.
    Havent used mine for a while and looking for something to get me back into it.
    Quite fancied the air bottle charging scenario and multiple shots but is it too much of a faff if Im not going to be using it every week?
    General advice wanted please and apologies if this is a bit vague !
    I'm baffled as to why you would sell a very good rifle unless you specifically want a particular replacement.
    A springer is probably more suited to occasional use than a pcp, but hay, it's your money.

Thanks for the responses so far!
    No real reason for getting shot of it, just fancied a change.

Its such a lovely piece of kit both mechanically and visually thats its a bit of a crime to keep it hidden away as much as I do. It needs to be used a lot more.

If anyone has any suggestions for potential changes then please give the full name and spec of the suggestions as Ive been out of the game for a while and dont know what the shortened versions of the suggestions relate to!!!

A springer will do everything a PCP will do, albeit single shot. As to reliability, when a PCP goes down, the cost of repair and knowledge to repair it yourself, is another question.
    Generally, a springer is like a classic car, something that with a bit of care, will last, while a PCP is,in my opinion, is a item to eventually trade.

Quote Originally Posted by jacko1971 View Post
    Thanks for the responses so far!
    No real reason for getting shot of it, just fancied a change.

Its such a lovely piece of kit both mechanically and visually thats its a bit of a crime to keep it hidden away as much as I do. It needs to be used a lot more.

If anyone has any suggestions for potential changes then please give the full name and spec of the suggestions as Ive been out of the game for a while and dont know what the shortened versions of the suggestions relate to!!!
    TX/TX200 is the same thing and essentially the underlever version of what yo7 have in the PS (Pro Sport).
    If you search on here, the web, or ask in a gun shop about an Ultra, Scorpion, R10 (BSA) or S200 (Air arms) there is nothing much else to provide for you to be able to find them. Stock variances, calibre, res or bottle size may vary by model and also can be down to personal preference.

I’d walk in to your local RFD and peruse their used PCP rack/s and would guess you’ll find most of these there to have a feel of.

As a half way, for around £300 I’m sure you could get a pcp to try. A used Ultra and a cheap stirrup pump may come in at around the budget you’d planned to add to your sale, but means you could try out recharged without letting your current spring rifle go first.
    Only a thought.

Get yourself an AirArms S400 single shot, just like your springer 🤗 You can add a magazine kit if you feel like it ( rowanengineering ) I've had mine since 2009 and it's going nowhere, easy to work on, if needed, mines in .177 you can pick older ones up pretty cheap, and to be honest, I do prefer the older ones. Rog

I don't own a PCP, just springers.
    However, the world of PCP's is real progress as they can give unparalleled accuracy and consistency. Much easier to shoot well over anything with a whopping spring power plant. Like many modern things they require filling up often enough to be annoying, and a different servicing regime to keep them tip top.

I think many here would suggest keeping the very good springer you have, and find the money for the PCP. The power systems and shooting experience are different enough to warrant both. Definitely worth finding out if you actually like PCP type shooting before parting with the springer.
    If you can't finance both then just go for it. Just that you have been warned that you might regret such a decision. Most of us here have sold rifles that we later regretted doing so.

Shooting a PCP might get you hooked again, and then that might cost you loads more. One rifle isn't enough.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    General advice -

1. A PCP is far easier to use than your pro sport, or at least easier to get good results with.
    2. A charged PCP can sit for weeks or months at a time and be on target on the first shot, in general, it's not a problem
    3. Once you have a cylinder and lead - around £120 second hand, then you will only need an occasional fill depending how much air you use (around £7/8), but we are talking many thousands of shots between fills for even a small cylinder like a 4/5L
    4. You will get a decent gun/cylinder for around £600/700, cheapies are simply not as good, but it depends on your budget

If your unsure, put a help post up to meet up and have a go with one and have someone to run through the whole thing with you, I've done it for people in the pst, I'm sure there are shooters close to you who would help you out for a coffee

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

nishijin is offline They dare not speak his name in hushed tones
    Have you considered going the opposite way and finding an old Brummie springer? I find that sending a plastic bottle flying off down the end of the range has me going back for more. Fast reloading with a break barrel, increased hold sensitivity. Generally more feedback all round.

If you put a PCP in front of me and a break barrel next to it at a range, I'd pick up the springer every time.