Thread: Selling my current air rifle. What do you suggest?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    General advice -

1. A PCP is far easier to use than your pro sport, or at least easier to get good results with.
    2. A charged PCP can sit for weeks or months at a time and be on target on the first shot, in general, it's not a problem
    3. Once you have a cylinder and lead - around £120 second hand, then you will only need an occasional fill depending how much air you use (around £7/8), but we are talking many thousands of shots between fills for even a small cylinder like a 4/5L
    4. You will get a decent gun/cylinder for around £600/700, cheapies are simply not as good, but it depends on your budget

If your unsure, put a help post up to meet up and have a go with one and have someone to run through the whole thing with you, I've done it for people in the pst, I'm sure there are shooters close to you who would help you out for a coffee

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

nishijin is offline They dare not speak his name in hushed tones
    Have you considered going the opposite way and finding an old Brummie springer? I find that sending a plastic bottle flying off down the end of the range has me going back for more. Fast reloading with a break barrel, increased hold sensitivity. Generally more feedback all round.

If you put a PCP in front of me and a break barrel next to it at a range, I'd pick up the springer every time.

Boing.

I am going the other way...lol.
    Selling /trading some of my pcps and will
    be buying a couple more springers.
    Just bought a .22 Prosport to go with my .177 TX.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

If you fancy a pcp the Air Arms range is hard to beat.
    New Reximex Pretensis seem pretty good.
    Air cylinder to fill it is £180 so needs to be calculated into the cost.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Just remember shot count, as you are used to not worrying at all about this, dragging a cylinder with you on a day shooting can be a pain. High shot count is fill at home. Fill and forget.
    VAYA CON DIOS

tx 200 are nice

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    ....2. A charged PCP can sit for weeks or months at a time and .......
    when you go to use it, find there's been an air leak making the gun requiring repair before use.

If you buy a pcp with a bottle you will get a large shot count. If you shoot at a club they may well have filling facilities so when you've finished your session you can top the gun up and, if you have other places you can shoot at, you can have a couple of hundred shots there which would probably mean you won't need to buy a bottle to fill it.
    As Neil has said the Air Arms are well regarded guns. Guns with bottles can be had from £360 new (Kral NP-02 etc) but if you have a budget of around £700 that should get you a used higher brand such as Daystate.
    Ultimately I think you need to go to a club and try some guns and see if any jump out at you.
    Last edited by gtfreight; 01-04-2023 at 05:29 AM.

Personally (and unsurprisingly) I'd say keep that lovely springer. As others have said, you might well regret letting that high quality, self-contained rifle go. And, with the way prices are going now, will be more expensive to replace should you later miss it.
    Great advice re trying a few different rifles out prior to buying if you're still wanting to go down that route.
    An additional gun may give you that boost and incentive to boost your enthusiasm again.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by where's it gone View Post
    when you go to use it, find there's been an air leak making the gun requiring repair before use.
    Strange comment

No one in their right mind would empty a PCP for storage, it's 100% the wrong thing to do, as it breaks the seals of the O rings releasing the pressure from them
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    Strange comment ..
    Spring powered gun, as far as I'm aware, don't loose all their power from their last time of use, where as, in my experience, PCP's do.