Thread: Target Pistols (in general)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    When we used to shoot the MPL series at 10 metres the Centre air pistols proved themselves to be really impressive performers as they were so capable of achieving better results that most of us would have thought possible from a spring powered air pistol.

I still have a pair of really nice Centre air pistol’s in a case in my office. I should give them some exercise before parting with them (and my LP53’s) and then move them on to somebody that will enjoy shooting them!
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

nishijin is offline They dare not speak his name in hushed tones
    Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    When we used to shoot the MPL series at 10 metres the Centre air pistols proved themselves to be really impressive performers as they were so capable of achieving better results that most of us would have thought possible from a spring powered air pistol.

I still have a pair of really nice Centre air pistol’s in a case in my office. I should give them some exercise before parting with them (and my LP53’s) and then move them on to somebody that will enjoy shooting them!
    I’d gladly own more than one Center, now that I’ve had a couple goes on it.

This morning was spent stripping, cleaning, and lubricating everything.

Keen to look into an alternative to the leather seal, depending on what is realistic based on design.

Thumbs up target pistol

Reading some of the earlier threads & your dislike of overlever pistols consider the lov21 co2 pistol, i believe still available new on gt guns about £100 , plastic ugly, crude but workable sights, however the non adjustable trigger is a delight light & smooth & on a good day capable of worrying Pcp pistol shooters, which reminds me i have'nt shot mine lately will have to give it a go soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mickson View Post
    Reading some of the earlier threads & your dislike of overlever pistols consider the lov21 co2 pistol, i believe still available new on gt guns about £100 , plastic ugly, crude but workable sights, however the non adjustable trigger is a delight light & smooth & on a good day capable of worrying Pcp pistol shooters, which reminds me i have'nt shot mine lately will have to give it a go soon.
    Yea I am definitely not a fan, based on the HW40 etc… but I have quickly learned to tolerate it with the HW75. I quite like self-contained airguns. PCP and CO2 is a little bothersome for me, when I can learn much more skill from a springer.

Quote Originally Posted by nishijin View Post
    Yea I am definitely not a fan, based on the HW40 etc… but I have quickly learned to tolerate it with the HW75. I quite like self-contained airguns. PCP and CO2 is a little bothersome for me, when I can learn much more skill from a springer.
    If you want to test yourself with a springer try the Ro72 shoots 4 inches high @ 6 yds.

Quote Originally Posted by mickson View Post
    If you want to test yourself with a springer try the Ro72 shoots 4 inches high @ 6 yds.
    4 inches?!

Addictive to work out the best hold on this little Gamo.

Determined to nail that sub-1" group in the garden. When I can get all 5 shots in the bull I'll work on groups of 10.

Shooting the HW75 should be a piece of cake after a few hours on the Gamo!

I'm reaching for the Gamo every time they're side by side. Think I might sell the 75, or swap for a 45. Hmm...

When I started my first airgun club in Exmouth in 1971 the Spanish made GAMO Centre under-lever air pistol was a popular choice for newcomers to the sport because it was readily available (and at a very good price) from most sports shops in the UK.

Rivals such as the break-barrel Original Model 5 and Walther LP53 were more expensive and did not score any better in the hands of most novice shooters, and in time these inexpensive air pistols gained a lot of respect from experienced shooters too as being a very accurate performer.

The under-lever was also a nice feature as it kept the barrel and sights "in-line" and avoided the "suspicion" (myth?) that the break barrel rivals may not be as inherently accurate because the alignment of the front and rear sights was never disprupted each time the pistol was cocked.

Being able to adjust the grip to give a more "wrist down" hold was also seen as an advantage to some owners who found the "military grip" of all its rivals did not suite them as well.

The GAMO Centre has become a classic in its own right and can still out-shoot many of its more expensive rivals and good examples are getting harder to find.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.