Thread: Target Pistols (in general)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

nishijin is offline They dare not speak his name in hushed tones
    Small update. Thanks to Kempton, I handled a significant number of pistols.

Somehow I didn’t spend the £120 on a FAS, mostly because of parts availability, and didn’t walk away with a Diana 6 … parts, condition, price.

There were loads of others, some classics like the Benjamin. In the end I went almost completely against my initial complaints and specifications.

I will report back once I have decided if it was money well spent…

It's a pity you had issues with your HW40. I bought a S/H one of these about five years ago for £50 and found it a joy to shoot, never having owned an SSP before.

In terms of target shooting I suppose it depends on what your interests /aspirations are because moving up to 10m match shooting for instance you will really need a Steyr, Hammerli, FWB etc PCP - I shoot a FWB P44 for match but I have also owned in the past a Morini 162ei and before that a Tau7 CO2.

Good luck with your search to find a pistol that suits you!

Quote Originally Posted by nishijin View Post
    Small update. Thanks to Kempton, I handled a significant number of pistols.

Somehow I didn’t spend the £120 on a FAS, mostly because of parts availability, and didn’t walk away with a Diana 6 … parts, condition, price.

There were loads of others, some classics like the Benjamin. In the end I went almost completely against my initial complaints and specifications.

I will report back once I have decided if it was money well spent…
    My guess is you got yourself an HW75!
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    My guess is you got yourself an HW75!

Correct!!

It was bought from the chap in the middle of the room at Kempton. He told me it came from a collector who had piles and piles of boxed unused guns. This one was decades old, and came with the original test card, manual, hang-tag, pellet tin, and some gun oil. He said it was way down on power so his gunsmith fitted new seals. It came with the old dead seals in the packet along with the TWC receipt for the £30 of bits.

Xcortech chrono. RWS Superdomes.

(346.8)
    (347.8)
    (348.7)

Apart from the odd dodgy pellet, the pistol definitely seems to be consistent. At least one of the 340's was my inconsistent cocking effort. I was happily hitting a tight group around 10 yards, and plastic bottles past 15. The HW75's larger size makes loading pellets and cocking the pistol much less of a chore than the HW40. This should keep me quiet for a while until I decide on a proper match grade pistol.

Grips are very comfortable. Would love target grips for it, just because.

Very nice looking bit of kit!

I thought the HW75 was a 400+fps gun? I shot an HW40 (same innards?)last week that was noticeably more powerful than my Sig Sauer ASP that is currently running at 360fps. The HW40 was punching clean holes in target cards, but the Sig was only managing ragged holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    Very nice looking bit of kit!

I thought the HW75 was a 400+fps gun? I shot an HW40 (same innards?)last week that was noticeably more powerful than my Sig Sauer ASP that is currently running at 360fps. The HW40 was punching clean holes in target cards, but the Sig was only managing ragged holes.
    I wondered the same, but doing some searching online, it looks like the HW75 is known for 'low' power. If you ignore the couple extremes (bad pellet/cocking), the spread is narrow enough that I won't worry.

The grip has had some layers of Tru-Oil, and a final bit of pure carna wax on top. It's a little bit too shiny, usage should bring it back to a matt finish in time.

Of course... I also went and bought Mickson's Gamo Centre, so maybe these pistols breed like rabbits.

Like rabbits? Very true! My current total is 21 pistols (plus 4 rifles for a bit of light relief).

I dropped across an early Baikal MP-53 in February, made in the USSR and in the original packaging and with all accessories. Then I just had to buy the Sig Sauer ASP Supertarget because it was there, and most recently a Predom Lucznik, because I always feel compelled to buy something at the Melbourne Airgun Fayre...

Quote Originally Posted by nishijin View Post
    I wondered the same, but doing some searching online, it looks like the HW75 is known for 'low' power. If you ignore the couple extremes (bad pellet/cocking), the spread is narrow enough that I won't worry.

The grip has had some layers of Tru-Oil, and a final bit of pure carna wax on top. It's a little bit too shiny, usage should bring it back to a matt finish in time.

Of course... I also went and bought Mickson's Gamo Centre, so maybe these pistols breed like rabbits.
    I was just about to recommend a Center!