Nowadays for competition, precision counts, so I see the reason for the proliferation of PCP and at the very least SSP.

I used a brand new HW40 a few months ago, but it went back to the shop because of a piston and latch failure.
The power varied from shot to shot, and the latch for closure popped open on a number of shots.
Not impressed, especially because of the reputation of Weihrauch, and the praises sung about this little pistol. I got a dud, it happens.
Now, after the price rise, they're 25% more expensive than my refund!

The actual use of the HW40 was somewhere between soulless and infuriating.

I found the SSP fiddly to load, nigh on impossible with even thin gloves.
Horridly frustrating to cock, forever catching clothing on that final bit of closure.
Then, thanks to the dodgy latch, the entire process slowed down by the anxious extra few pushes to be sure it locked.

All that, only for the shooting cycle to be accurate and boring all at the same time.
(That is, except mine that had the power loss from dodgy piston.)
So, for me (if you get a good one) the HW40 only serves to provide clean groups, if you can tolerate the awful SSP use.

Getting the little Webley Tempest, I was overjoyed. The overlever cocking isn't the best, but it's infinitely faster, and pellet loading is much easier without all the plastic in the way.
Unfortunately it's a plinker, there's only so much accuracy you can expect from it. That said, it's durable, and hardly going to lose accuracy if it gets treated a little rough.
At 5m I can consistently hit within the inch circle targets, until the inevitable flyers from slack tolerances.

Reading around, there seem to be pistols like the FAS 6004, but these are plagued with issues, and parts aren't so available. FWB's are few and far between. Most target pistols went straight to CO2 in the intervening years until PCP, like the various Crosman.

Maybe what I want is the HW45? After the experience of the HW40, I don't think I'd try the HW75 and I'm hesitant about another Weihrauch.
Looking at the photos, and only seeing one in the cabinet at a shop, it looks like the 45 would suffer the same frustrations on pellet loading anyway.

Maybe something old like an Original? Model 6 perhaps? It worries me if the pistols are complicated to work on, or parts are difficult to find, because at those ages they will need new seals and something could go ping...

It's only for informal work, but I'd love to take a step beyond the Tempest, without losing the satisfaction, size, or character of the little overlever.