Whilst reading an old AGW last night with a gun test of the Mercury S, it jogged my memory about the S version of the Meteor, and made me wonder what ever happened to it.

In the early 80's I was in Streatham Armoury one day, having a look around and chatting to the owner, Alan Gigg, when the rep for BSA came in. He had with him a new version of the Meteor that BSA were considering putting into production, he explained that BSA had built just ten of these prototypes as samples for the sales force, to gauge dealer and customer interest.

From memory, the rep said, BSA had consulted with John Bowkett to improve the internals, raising the power to around 10.5ftlbs, it had an adjustable breech bolt, a walnut version of the Super stock and a blued action. There were no pressed scope rails, BSA had used the rear mounting screens at the rear of the action, where you could move the rear sight too, to fit a raised scope rail.

Does anyone on here have an example of what must be a rather rare rifle? Or indeed know why these were never produced?