Thread: Question about early mk1 Airsporter

Question about early mk1 Airsporter

This is a very niche question and I知 sure it will take someone very knowledgeable to answer it, but I知 looking to acquire a mk1 airsporter in .177, but am aware there are variations even within the mk1, which seem to correspond to serial numbers.

Differences seem to include the shape and quality of the cocking lever handgrip and cocking latch, and the power/cylinder volume. I believe, and correct me if I知 wrong, that they started off with the serial number E, and then EA, then EB and finally EC.

The earliest version E had less power, a rounded latch and solid cocking grip and was called the Club.
    The latest version EC had more power from a bigger cylinder, and presumably cheaper parts for the latch and the lever grip, with the grip having a groove in the middle and the latch being edgier and less rounded.

My question is when did the changes take place? I suppose I am especially interested in the EA and EB. And which is the best?

Collectors will know more but I just had a look at Knibb's What's My BSA and all the prefixes you speak of are there. I did not know that the 1st Airsporter was called the club. then the Airsporter club 1948-50 and 1950-54 respectively.
    Of course this does not help with parts but What's My BSA will give you a start.
    E for .177 and G for.22. Just off to double check my 22 now.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

The .177 variant of this model was called the "Club" manufactured between late 1948 (E) to May 1956 (EC). The ED models from March 1959 were called "Club mk11".

The .22 cal mk1 "Airsporter" during this period had the G-GC prefixes.

My BSA brochure dated 1955 which is a re-print of the Jan 1951 original refers to ....."The new .177 Club and .22 Airsporter" with a simple illustration of one of them (they look quite similar) but the Airsporter is slightly longer and heavier. The BSA logo is pressed into the LHS of the stock.

Aubrey

It seems only the E and EA were called the Club, EB and onwards were simply airsporter.

However sadly this does not answer my question..

There are some pics and info here on the BSA Airsporter Club. https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....rsporter-club/

Not sure about this...... if the EC was more powerful then was it still a 'Club"; if it had a longer cylinder was it actually an early Airsporter? It's just that I was under the impression one of the characteristics of the Club was its shorter cylinder compared to an Airsporter & as a result the stocks between the two were not interchangeable.

Interested to hear what others will say, but I will try to dig one out & have a look at it.

The Club with a shorter cylinder was the very first which was the E prefix one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    The Club with a shorter cylinder was the very first which was the E prefix one.
    So the EA is more powerful with the bigger cylinder?

No I have a E and a EC Prefix MK1 Airsporter, muzzle velocity for the E is 740fps and the EC 720fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    No I have a E and a EC Prefix MK1 Airsporter, muzzle velocity for the E is 740fps and the EC 720fps.
    I would suppose the difference in muzzle velocity could be attributed to factors others than cylinder volume here, like the seal and the spring, since I壇 presume the EC has a larger cylinder and therefore more potential power *when controlling for other factors such as wear*