Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring air pistols by John griffith

Spring air pistols by John griffith

I bought the second edition recently and found it to be a must have so when the first edition popped up on today I had to have it as apparently only 30p copies were sold

anyone else got it?

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Yis, how much did it go for?

Dave
    Smell my cheese

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Even I haven't got one any more. Gave my own copy to my eldest grandson.

Quote Originally Posted by Unframed Dave View Post
    Yis, how much did it go for?

Dave
    Alot cheaper than I was expecting,I bid £120 but won it at £67

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Even I haven't got one any more. Gave my own copy to my eldest grandson.
    Is it true you only did 300 John?

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Quote Originally Posted by Evostu View Post
    Alot cheaper than I was expecting,I bid £120 but won it at £67
    Bargain.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Is it true you only did 300 John?

Yes, but with copies to certain libraries, including the British Library, and to my kids and grandkids, only about 285 came onto the open market.

John

I paid £120 for a 2nd hand copy of the first edition and was happy to. It taught me pretty much everything I know about spring pistols and then the new edition topped up the knowledge.

I arranged for a couple of mates to pick up their copies of the new edition from Kempton.
    Feedback was ‘I’m very pleased, it looks amazing’ and ‘that book is something else’ and I have to agree.

I wouldn’t sell my original copy as I think they go together as a set.

You certainly got a bargain.

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Yes, but with copies to certain libraries, including the British Library, and to my kids and grandkids, only about 285 came onto the open market.

John
    Ah that's awesome thanks for the info,alot rarer than I expected,what an amazing book I can't even get my head around how many hours and how much work it must of taken to put it all together. Amazing and thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    I paid £120 for a 2nd hand copy of the first edition and was happy to. It taught me pretty much everything I know about spring pistols and then the new edition topped up the knowledge.

I arranged for a couple of mates to pick up their copies of the new edition from Kempton.
    Feedback was ‘I’m very pleased, it looks amazing’ and ‘that book is something else’ and I have to agree.

I wouldn’t sell my original copy as I think they go together as a set.

You certainly got a bargain.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Where was that from? I searched for hours trying to find one online before I gave up then this one just popped up on when I was searching pistol spares 🤣

Where was that from? I searched for hours trying to find one online before I gave up then this one just popped up on when I was searching pistol spares 🤣
    same place as you, about 5 years ago.
    I have it as a saved search to see how often they come up, it’s about once a year and go for between £50-£120 depending how many people bid on it.

The new extended colour second edition is available from Protek for a very reasonable sum.
    Cheers,
    Matt

I don't want to sound like a fanboy when the author is within earshot, but sometimes I don't think we really appreciate how extraordinary this book is.

In almost every other field of collecting, whether stamps, motorbikes, firearms or whatever, wherever there are encyclopedias they are rarely as comprehensive as the Griffiths Spring Air Pistols and tend to have been produced quickly, for profit, by people who haven't spent long enough researching the subject.

With the ESAP you have a top professional researcher who just happens to have a real passion for collecting spring air pistols.

He could easily have just devoted himself to collecting and enjoying them privately. But he didn't - and to our incredible good fortune decided to go a step further and to collate his knowledge and publish it for others to benefit.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post

The new extended colour second edition is available from Protek for a very reasonable sum.
    Cheers,
    Matt
    Just had a quick look, couldn't see it.

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    Just had a quick look, couldn't see it.

Bru
    http://www.proteksupplies.co.uk/jgbookorder.html

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I don't want to sound like a fanboy when the author is within earshot, but sometimes I don't think we really appreciate how extraordinary this book is.

In almost every other field of collecting, whether stamps, motorbikes, firearms or whatever, wherever there are encyclopedias they are rarely as comprehensive as the Griffiths Spring Air Pistols and tend to have been produced quickly, for profit, by people who haven't spent long enough researching the subject.

With the ESAP you have a top professional researcher who just happens to have a real passion for collecting spring air pistols.

He could easily have just devoted himself to collecting and enjoying them privately. But he didn't - and to our incredible good fortune decided to go a step further and to collate his knowledge and publish it for others to benefit.
    Can only agree with that,I dread to think how many hours research and head scratching went into getting all that info. Pretty amazing hohn did it twice 👌

Thanks!

Went on their main site, under books, couldn't find it.

Thanks again.

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.