Thread: Theoben olympus correct barrel length.

Theoben olympus correct barrel length.

I bought a theoben olympus a few years ago. It is in .22cal. The barrel fitted is very short and looks simular to a fenman length with a evo mod fitted. A guy on a fb group suggested my barrel is incorrect length for the olympus model. Can anyone confirm this is true? Regards. Chris

Fenman was 7.5" and Olympus 10.5" if i recall,,

I owned an Olympus back in the 90’s and the barrel was very short, 10.5” sounds about right to me. I recall Theoben also produced an ultra-carbine version with a barrel so short that no barrel extended beyond the stock forend, it was all moderator, but I don’t think they produced many of that model.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by colin g View Post
    Fenman was 7.5" and Olympus 10.5" if i recall,,
    this thread agrees with you:
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....heoben-Olympus
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxmaniac View Post
    I recall Theoben also produced an ultra-carbine version with a barrel so short that no barrel extended beyond the stock forend, it was all moderator, but I don’t think they produced many of that model.
    That would be fun to try and cock
    Custom BSA S10 .22 PAX Phoenix Mk 2 .22 Custom Titan Manitou .22 (JB BP) HW77 .22 FWB Sport Mk1 .22 Sharp Ace .22 Crossman 600 .22 Berretta 92 .20 Desert Eagle .177

I’d have guessed the Olympus having a barrel length of 10.5”.
    I read the post linked above with interest as someone was offering a .20 Olympus for £360, them I realised it was from 2004!!
    Regards,
    Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by The Squire View Post
    I read the post linked above with interest as someone was offering a .20 Olympus for £360, them I realised it was from 2004!!
    They are rare dave. Got mine 2yrs ago. I prefer the handling with this short barrel. It would make a brill barn or tight space hunting tool with its shorter dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by The Squire View Post
    Mine cost £350 new direct from Theoben, wish I’d kept it.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxmaniac View Post
    Mine cost £350 new direct from Theoben, wish I’d kept it.
    The stock is a really nice for me anyway. The gun is really nicely balanced with this short barrel. They are a really nice gun to hold.

My experience with any and all Theoben gas ram rifles is that they are VERY sensitive to over pressuring the ram. If you pump it up too much they are truly horrible to shoot. It is always better to err on the side of lower ram pressure in terms not only of shooting experience but of effectiveness too. Even with the Eliminator where you can run it at high power such as 30 ft lb in .22, there is an 'optimum' power level which in my experience is around 27 ft lb which is certainly below the maximum achievable. Whilst adjusting a Fenman once -think it was a .20 but it might have been .177-I got the pellet to go supersonic until I reduced it with a couple of taps of a drift pin on the Schrader valve.
    On barrel length I have seen both the 7.5" and 10" on the same model of rifle. Generally speaking a .177 is better in 10" whereas the .20 and .22 are fine in either. This rule is not absolute as I have certainly owned a Fenman in .177 with a 7.5" barrel which was lovely. Just don't overpressure the ram because the results can be truly horrible and will put you off shooting a gas ram rifle for ever-or until you reduce the pressure!
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by WILBA View Post
    I bought a theoben olympus a few years ago. It is in .22cal. The barrel fitted is very short and looks simular to a fenman length with a evo mod fitted. A guy on a fb group suggested my barrel is incorrect length for the olympus model. Can anyone confirm this is true? Regards. Chris
    I had a 7” barrel on my Olympus I bought new in 1998
    I was definitely an option
    Atb j