Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking after a Gamo compact pistol

Looking after a Gamo compact pistol

Hi all
    I only use my pistol every now and then but do I need to do anything to keep it in good condition.
    I am not sure if I need to keep the barrel good with a small amount of oil and do I need to do anything to the seals
    Thanks Dave
    Good deals done with: Aimstraight, mulletman6, GwyneddATC, evo97k, Hotwired, Ryan hw99s & Clipper.
    Gun owned .177 FAS 6004 Target pistol.

Hi Dave

Maintenance on the Gamo Compact is easy, when fully opened there is a tiny hole in the cylinder body, a TINY drip of oil in there once in a blue moon will maintain the main seal... the pivot pins are very easy to drip a small amount of oil on to in order to keep them free

I've owned a few, and periodically the valve may stick, usually in the open position, which means you cannot 'pump' or prime the cylinder - removing the whole valve assembly to lubricate the seals (and polish up the valve stem while you have it apart) is not a massive job, just fiddly.. the tiny drop of oil in the main cylinder described above should allow enough oil (a really tiny, minute, atomised amount) through to the seals in the valve and prevent this

I know Crosman used to do very light oil for lubrication their pneumatic and Co2 pistols - not sure what others on here would recommend, but I got a small bottle of silicon oil intended for running machine belts and use that

I wouldn't put oil of any kind inside the barrel unless you were storing it indefinitely..... you'd need to get all of it our before using pistol again otherwise it will be innacurate at best, and at worst will diesel horribly
    TX200 .177 21mm TL | TX200HC .22 22mm TL | Prosport .22 22mm TL
    HW40 | HW45 | Diana Mod5 | Webley Senior....... Because PCP is like kissing your sister (apparently)

Thank-you for the reply what make of oil should I get
    Dave
    Good deals done with: Aimstraight, mulletman6, GwyneddATC, evo97k, Hotwired, Ryan hw99s & Clipper.

I can't find any of the Crosman Pellgun oil at a reasonable price, but found this

https://premium-quality-air-rifle-ac...5ml-p430240097

Or search on fleabay for silicon oil
    HW40 | HW45 | Diana Mod5 | Webley Senior....... Because PCP is like kissing your sister (apparently)

I have just ordered some of that oil from above but not sure how use it.
    Dave
    Last edited by davethepitch; 23-04-2023 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper View Post
    Hi Dave

Maintenance on the Gamo Compact is easy, when fully opened there is a tiny hole in the cylinder body, a TINY drip of oil in there once in a blue moon will maintain the main seal... the pivot pins are very easy to drip a small amount of oil on to in order to keep them free
    Hi do I need stand the gun on its end for the oil to get around the seals

I would just put the absolute tiniest drip in and then fire a few shots, that should spread it around, and you can't repeatedly open and close it - you'll need to close and fire it off every time to cock it

Would this be the same for a PR45, with the plastic piston? I only ask as mine hisses when cocking, and I've changed the seal already.

The PR45 is essentially the same gun. The hiss on cocking is air being drawn into the cylinder. It's normal

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by AdeC View Post
    The PR45 is essentially the same gun. The hiss on cocking is air being drawn into the cylinder. It's normal
    Yup, same gun, but with a much better trigger mechanism, and a much nicer grip.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham

I used to oil the pivots occasionally and then a small drop of either Crosman Pellgun oil or ATF on top of the air admission hole on top of the cylinder before the top lever was fully open to get drawn in and lubricate the valve seals (about once every tin of pellets).
    It won't diesel and consistency was unaffected.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Do NOT use silicon oil...
    I have just purchased some silicon oil as it was recommended for the seals in my Gsmo compact

Trouble is you can't keep it confined just to the seals as all oils migrate with use.
    If it gets anywhere there is any metal to metal contact it will cause galling.
    But it's your choice...

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Trouble is you can't keep it confined just to the seals as all oils migrate with use.
    If it gets anywhere there is any metal to metal contact it will cause galling.
    But it's your choice...
    I have purchased this seal oil I am confused now so is this oil OK to use on my Gamo compact seals https://premium-quality-air-rifle-ac...5ml-p430240097 I can always buy some Pellgun oil.
    Last edited by davethepitch; 27-04-2023 at 09:16 PM.