Thread: spring compressor for HW45

spring compressor for HW45

Morning all,

New (to me) HW45 on it's way, seller describes it as 'a bit smoky' so a barrel clean (and if that doesn't solve it) strip, de gunk, check seals and put back together is going to be the first job

Does anyone have a spring compressor I could borrow? I've watched Tinbum's video for doing it, and (Sorry Nick!!) don't fancy any of the McGyver alternatives he suggests!

More than happy to send a deposit and cover postage both ways if you aren't local to Southampton.. or if anyone can point me in the direction of a compressor thats cheap enough to use a couple of times and then keep in my tool box forever please let me know!
    TX200 .177 21mm TL | TX200HC .22 22mm TL | Prosport .22 22mm TL
    HW40 | HW45 | Diana Mod5 | Webley Senior....... Because PCP is like kissing your sister (apparently)

A cheap sash cramp off the bay of E will work...

I can see how a sash clamp could work to reassemble it, but can't see how it could be released under control to remove the spring unless it has a very long threaded section?

Quote Originally Posted by AC all day View Post
    A cheap sash cramp off the bay of E will work...
    TX200 .177 21mm TL | TX200HC .22 22mm TL | Prosport .22 22mm TL
    HW40 | HW45 | Diana Mod5 | Webley Senior....... Because PCP is like kissing your sister (apparently)

Here is one like I bought but shorter, you will see the threaded section is long enough to take up the spring preload.
    This one is cheap but possibly out of stock. Others will still be available.
    https://www.toolstation.com/irwin-re...h-clamp/p27325
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

I bought a spring compresser from a well known gun modifier and was surprised it was a modified sash cramp as a carpenter with loads of the bloody things it's sat in the cupboard still.... As with anything if you set it up right it will work..
    Firstly I put a sash cramp in a vice to hold it, it saves a lot of messing about and saves having 3 pairs of hands....
    Wind the head in almost fully and THEN adjust to the closest pin hole on the cramp, if it looks like its miles back tape a piece of softwood to the front end (electrical tape is your friend).... Clamp down, remove pin and unwind.... Normally I put my hand over the action just to control any wayward movements..... Once slack that's job done.
    Most spring guns will only require about 2/3rds travel
    Assembly is the reverse of what you have done.... I hope this helps, you could try Screwfix, Toolstation or my preference is Axminster tools and ironically these spring compresses can be used for other jobs

Whatever clamp you use, you will find life a lot easier if you make up a small top hat plug for the front end of the cylinder.
    The plug that is is cross-pinned has a hole running axially through it, into which a top hat plug can engage. It stops the spring and end plug from wandering off when compressing the parts back together. The top hat could be made from wood if nothing else is available.
    I made one from aluminium and I grip it in the tailstock of my lathe, the cylinder is gripped in the chuck and the lathe acts as my spring compressor - but I also made on for a mate and he screwed his to a sash clamp with good results.

A pipe clamp (from that well known site beginning with E) would do the job.

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    This slightly less Mcgyver version might help

https://www.airgunmagazine.co.uk/fea...ng-compressor/

I based mine on a Sealey motorbike fork compressor. Used a short bit of angle iron across the fork and used some wood to make appropriate 'cups' to support/contain either end.

https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/563...ing-compressor