Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sleeping Webley

Sleeping Webley

I taught my son & daughter how to shoot/ gun safety with one.Were they made by Diana and re badged as webley's?

Quote Originally Posted by wil95k View Post
    I taught my son & daughter how to shoot/ gun safety with one.Were they made by Diana and re badged as webley's?
    I think they were made by Milbro (Milliard Brothers). After WW2 they took over much of the machinery from Diana as war reparations, moving it to Scotland & the Junior/Jaguar is based on the Diana 22. So you have German Dianas & British Dianas - caused confusion ever since, as Mr Thrale says in his excellent book.

ATB

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

I did get the Webley Falcon for my 12th birthday.

Needless to say, I still have it and do shoot it from time to time.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    It's thought that the predecessor Junior had batch, rather than serial numbers, if I understand correctly.

Bru
    I've been looking around for a Junior to compliment my Jaguar and have seen what looks to be a very nice one for sale (unfortunately on Gun Trader) with the batch number 653 -- does anyone have an idea of the date of manufacture please?

Quote Originally Posted by AllanM View Post
    I've been looking around for a Junior to compliment my Jaguar and have seen what looks to be a very nice one for sale (unfortunately on Gun Trader) with the batch number 653 -- does anyone have an idea of the date of manufacture please?
    They do turn up at our KP Armsfair Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanM View Post
    The one on Gun Trader (£125? Really?) looks to have the earlier. more square ended forestock - if you look at the excellent pics above you can see a difference.
    FWIW, mine, which I think is mid '50's, has the rounded, later one, & a batch no of 685.
    Some early ones apparently did not have a batch number...Others mentioned in Thrale are 181, 310, 507, 519 & 532. The 181 example dated from Aug 1958.
    So unless someone can come up with detailed Milbro factory records they are difficult to date, apart from earlier ones having a squarer foreend.

HTH

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

laverdabru - I saw that one, which to me looked a bit rough, at an expensive £125 with a serial/batch number 623. The one I was thinking of buying is £160 but looks to be in exceptionally nice condition from a private seller called Stephen in Sutton Coldfield.
    I emailed him to check it had a rifled barrel and also asked for the serial/batch number which he told me was 653. I also asked if he was a member of BBS or AGF -- he isn't which, I have to admit, makes me cautious.

Binners - I know Peter, I know, but Kempton is just too far to travel these days otherwise I would be there (especially if the above Junior was for sale) even though my wallet would probably take a battering!

Allan,

Just keep looking, sure one will turn up at a reasonable price. I know I'm out of touch with prices, but £125/160 seems salty to me.
    Maybe put out a wanted ad on forums?

ATB

Bru

Since seeing the original posting I've developed a real fondness for the Webley Junior/Jaguar rifles and have just picked up another Jaguar that was for sale locally in very nice condition for £75.
    The Junior I looked at on Gun Trader is still available and some additional photos have been posted today.
    It does appear to be in remarkably good condition although the new photos suggest to me that it has been restored (albeit very nicely) but at £160 plus £30 postage it would be an expensive buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple View Post
    What a nice photo that is of the ironmongers shop, it was a very monochrome world back then. We had a similar shop in our village. The owner sold bulldog and Milbro pellets and always wore a tan brown warehouse coat. He was selling in the shop until his death at 83. After his funeral I went into the shop to inquire about buying his remaining stock of pellets and was told by his niece I think " there's no airgun pellets here, We haven't sold them for many years.
    When our local called it a day in the early ‘60s Mum went to the sale and reported that there’d been a mantrap among the lots. How long must that have been in stock?

ATB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .