Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping Webley

Sleeping Webley

Imagine getting this for your 10th birthday....

Last edited by Binners; 24-04-2023 at 03:59 PM.

I would love to get this any day -- Webley Junior? -- just the right companion for my Webley Jaguar.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post

I would not mind it on my 77th birthday. to late for my 10th

I thought you weren't going to open the box!

Was it temptation or did it carefully sneak out for a breath of fresh air after decades in the dark?

What a beauty.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I thought you weren't going to open the box!

Was it temptation or did it carefully sneak out for a breath of fresh air after decades in the dark?

What a beauty.

John
    Truth is Matey
    Both ends of the wrapping were open and it slid out about 6'' so had a peep.

Truth is Matey
    Both ends of the wrapping were open and it slid out about 6'' so had a peep.
    Not sure I could have resisted either!
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

what a stunner very nice

Was given a similar boxed Junior a decade or so back, by a then workmate, on the death of his father. It had been his grandfathers, & seems to have been moved from attic to attic since the early '60's.
    3 of my 6 grandchildren have used it, but sadly shown no further interest. Gun itself is still in vgc, but the box itself suffered some damage since - still, the portion with the Webley sticker survived, & the address label.
    When I temporarily lost most use of my arm for several months a few years back, it was about the only gun I could lift & use...

Makes a nice companion piece to the Falcon & Mk 3's.

Bru
    Last edited by laverdabru; 25-04-2023 at 02:22 PM.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

urx is offline 2,602.00 GBP −10.00 (0.38%) at the close
    I'd love to find Webleys .especially a senior in this kind of condition....likely wouldn't love the price to be fair but it is really nice and uplifting to see things like this.
    thanks for sharing :-)
    Gun control means using both hands.

I had one in similar condition with a price of £4-0-0 written on the side of the box.
    It's surprising any of the 'boxes' survived, as the thin corrugated cardboard they were made from was very susceptible to damp.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    I had one in similar condition with a price of £4-0-0 written on the side of the box.
    It's surprising any of the 'boxes' survived, as the thin corrugated cardboard they were made from was very susceptible to damp.
    Just found the box. Not quite as badly damaged as I thought. It has a from B'ham 4 label, addressed to an AV Balter/Bealter of Church St, Malvern. & Per £(?)25/56, with nothing in the Date space. Wonder what that could mean? 25 shillings in 1956? Seems unlikely, as the Thrale book shows an advert with one priced at £4.19.6d in 1963.

When I 1st moved to Malvern late '70's there was a gunshop in Church Street, but can't recall the name. I do remember the owner showing me a pre war Webley when I went in for pellets for my Mk 1.

ATB

Bru
    Last edited by laverdabru; 25-04-2023 at 09:01 PM.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Sorry to keep trotting this out. Not birthday but 11th Christmas 1951 and still with us. No box etc but better still, for us, the other photo appeared on social media seventy years later.
    Squint a bit and there's our Webley in the shop window exactly as remembered ogling every time we passed with Mam and Dad.

"Over my dead body" from Mam without breaking stride. They'd already bought it of course.

What a nice photo that is of the ironmongers shop, it was a very monochrome world back then. We had a similar shop in our village. The owner sold bulldog and Milbro pellets and always wore a tan brown warehouse coat. He was selling in the shop until his death at 83. After his funeral I went into the shop to inquire about buying his remaining stock of pellets and was told by his niece I think " there's no airgun pellets here, We haven't sold them for many years.

I have a much later Webley Jaguar which I used to teach my daughter and later my granddaughters how to shoot.

Over the years it had become weary and it has just returned from being revived by a good mate. I can't begin to say just how much pleasure shooting the little rifle again has given me, bringing back many, many happy memories.

These junior rifles have so much to offer and are superb quiet back garden plinkers.

I was wondering if anyone could please tell me when it (serial no: 4541) was manufactured?

Quote Originally Posted by AllanM View Post
    I have a much later Webley Jaguar which I used to teach my daughter and later my granddaughters how to shoot.

Over the years it had become weary and it has just returned from being revived by a good mate. I can't begin to say just how much pleasure shooting the little rifle again has given me, bringing back many, many happy memories.

These junior rifles have so much to offer and are superb quiet back garden plinkers.

I was wondering if anyone could please tell me when it (serial no: 4541) was manufactured?
    Just had a quick look at the Thrales book, not much about serial numbers. The Jaguar was made from 1964 to 1977. It's thought that the predecessor Junior had batch, rather than serial numbers, if I understand correctly. At a guess, likely the later model was the same. But if I'm wrong, no doubt someone will let us know.
    I too appreciate 'Junior' rifles. Alas, not many survive in good condition, having led harsh lives & for cost reasons, not alway built to the same quality of their bigger brethren.

Bru