Thread: Sticky Airwolf

Sticky Airwolf

A while back I started a thread about one of my Daystate Tactical Airwolf's stock going sticky. While I don't shoot that much anymore, I still 'fondle and caress ' my beloved collection. It was while I was doing this that I thought why only one of the Airwolf's stock had gone that way and the other is still good, even though both are stored together with other rifles ? Any thoughts, apart from Daystate didn't do their homework ?

I have heard it said its to do with hand sanitiser during covid.
    I think it's just to do with the plasticiser used in the soft touch process.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    It's happened to me with a few old soft touch things. I found wiping them down with contact cleaner sorted it
    Pete

My tactical one is the same on my ranger, I've got the walnut one back on it now, Not only stocks , Ive not long ago had to throw a lovely motorcycle jacket away, The back protector ended up like a chewed up black Jack, My binoculars gave also started to go sticky, I've got some gorilla camo tape here and thinking of putting it on the stock to see how it holds, The tactical one was a spare I picked up second hand which was already grippy when I bought it, Only really bought it to stud the stock but I've done the walnut one now,

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    The black tactical stocks have a limited life span, once they start going they need to be refinished, and I don't know anywhere who would do the soft touch again, most people strip and stain them.

There is NO actual solution to this, time will eventually cause the plastic to break down, so anything you try may just slightly prolong the inevitable

Sorry, but it's time for a refinish.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Rubbery coatings do not age gracefully. I'm sure oils or other chemicals can make things worse but any rubberised tools and grips I've used for a long time slowly gain a tackiness and cling to dirt. They may also stretch relative to the surface they're on so they start to detach and peel