Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what mag do you have

what mag do you have

your scope on ive had to put mine up to 8 as my eyes are getting worse only thing is if you shake it shows up

I shake too much so go for 5-6 X
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

My walk around mag is 10x (HFT style)
    VAYA CON DIOS

I use variable mag scopes & adjust the mag to the situation,
    tracking a squirrel through tree tops I want 3-4x with a wide FOV, when it stops running I'll whack it up to take the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I use variable mag scopes & adjust the mag to the situation,
    tracking a squirrel through tree tops I want 3-4x with a wide FOV, when it stops running I'll whack it up to take the shot.
    My scopes are all vary too, I track with my left eye until they stop, then use right eye through scope, use HFT range find and shoot.
    You do look strange shooting with both eyes open but it is a really fast technique.
    VAYA CON DIOS

At 3x I dont even have a pulse, But most of mine start at 4x. I'm ok with 4 but prefer 3x.

some interesting views there

I only do benchrest, so most of my scopes are 6-24x50 except for 3 Hawke sidewinder 8-32x56.
    Shooting the targets @ 50m I set the scope to 16x, but for 25 to 35 yards it's usually about 10x.

I like 3-9 scopes on my springers. I have two 3.5-10 scopes that I class as hunting.
    Just got a 10x30 prismatic that I am quite pleased with.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Most of my scopes are fixed 4x, with a few being 2-7 and 3-9. When I hunted (a good few years ago now!), the 4x served me well, I thought. And I do like the less exaggerated perceived movement of low mag, giving one confidence. Indeed, sometimes for standing shots (informal targets) I love the simplicity and zero magnification of opens. As long as I can see the target!

But I can also agree and sympathise that higher mags can help develop better technique by highlighting deficiencies and they help tell us when NOT to squeeze the trigger. And for some disciplines they're obviously invaluable (like bench rest and for FT rangefinding).
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

found this interesting

If I’m using the pard 007 then x2 as the pard enlarges the image, if I’m just walking about in the hope of a shot usually around 6x if I’m taking longer range shots from a hide anything up to 16x

Depends what you use it for, I think. 4x is plenty for hunting because you can see your target but any shake is less noticeable & doesn't put you off your shot, while for target shooting off a bag or rest I use 9x.

Depends
    Generally about 6x and if I'm hide or benching I max most of mine which is 16x.
    Thing is, if your shaking at 3x it just means it's not noticed as much than at 10x, the poi will still be all over the place but I now get snotty if I miss as I know it's me and not the rifle
    Super soaker 3000 (water), nerf fang (foam), noisy cricket (energy), m41a pulse rifle (10x24), Gat gun (.177)

In general anything between 8 to 10, occasionaly down to 4, sometimes up to 12. When lo owing to buy a scope it's 3 to 16 range. For a while it was mainly 10 so I got a fixed 10x scope then quickly went back to variable.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.