Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The demise of Airgunner (and Airgun Shooter) magazines

I could live without Airgunner in general but think I think the end of John A’s collectible section is a huge loss to the vintage collecting community and knowledge base.
    I really like his writing style, he always manages to make it sound like he's telling a story and his depth of knowledge is huge.

Hopefully he can find another outlet for his work in the future.

Cheers,
    Matt

This would be a great opportunity to take the two magazines (and Airgun Shooter) and create one truly excellent all encompassing airgun magazine, and at the same time take it up market in terms of its cerebral level - ie for years if not for ever, most or many of the articles and reviews seemed to be aimed at a not very bright 14 year old!

Whether the owners of these magazines will have the nous to do this I somehow doubt given what has been said so far? Hope i'm wrong.

The shining exception of course are those articles by John A, who it would appear has been treated most shabbily ? Why he has not been invited to continue his unique and very high quality articles is beyond me!
    Or at the very least to be able to sign off in some significant manner?

Like many on here I only subscribed to A/G for John's articles, all now Stanley knifed from their respective magazines and stored in binders according to subject matter.
    What an invaluable library of information they now form.
    I consider John's unstinting efforts over decades, month in month out, to be a truly remarkable achievment, and more's the pity his work won't be acknowledged by the publisher of Airgunner as it deserves.

If John’s articles were to be collected and released as a book I am sure it would sell very well

Admittedly to a fairly niche market, but still I would think it would be well worth doing. There are these collections of magazine articles republished in the classic car world and they sell.
    Morally flawed

Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post

The shining exception of course are those articles by John A, who it would appear has been treated most shabbily ? Why he has not been invited to continue his unique and very high quality articles is beyond me!
    Or at the very least to be able to sign off in some significant manner?

Like many on here I only subscribed to A/G for John's articles, all now Stanley knifed from their respective magazines and stored in binders according to subject matter.
    What an invaluable library of information they now form.
    I consider John's unstinting efforts over decades, month in month out, to be a truly remarkable achievment, and more's the pity his work won't be acknowledged by the publisher of Airgunner as it deserves.
    Hear, hear.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post
    If John’s articles were to be collected and released as a book I am sure it would sell very well

Admittedly to a fairly niche market, but still I would think it would be well worth doing. There are these collections of magazine articles republished in the classic car world and they sell.

Nice idea, but you'd end up with about ten volumes, a bit like a run of 'Encyclopeadia Britannica' for airguns! Cheaper just to buy old copies of A/G!

Its a shame Airgunner has gone, hope AGW manages to hang on. Times change and I suppose lots of airgun info and chat on the internet, youtube and forums like this made readership fall.
    Hope John Atkins finds another platform for his fascinating articles and research, which as a youngster fired my interest in vintage airguns.
    Guns Review was probably one of the most mourned magazines to close.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cornelius View Post

I suspect Mr Atkins is wary about having his old articles reproduced, partly because new information has sometimes come to light, meaning he would be want to update it, or at least point to what has emerged since it was written - a huge amount of work in itself.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Its a big shame. I was brought up on Airgunner as well as AGW (preferred the former as AGW was b&w photos back then). Shame these titles fail. I remember Handgun magazine as I think it was called (UK, not the US one) in the mid 90s. Think it bit the dust quite quickly, post Dunblane, within a few issues.

It's interesting to see which magazines live on.

Loads of car and gossip mags. Just a sprinkling of niche hobby mags.

Putting magazine's in plastic bags so you can't read them first and make a decision to buy has not helped the cause ..
    Plastic bag covering the mags is also a great image for them doing their environmental bit to save the world!!
    Last edited by prosport.177; 07-05-2023 at 11:52 AM.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Inevitable really, take out the advertising content, the for sale section and the readers letters and the content they actually produced was very little.
    But unfortunately of what little remained, much was repeated across the 3 magazines and the rest was often unimaginative and uninspiring.
    I read them because they were included in my Readly app - before that I had stopped buying them years previously because the content was so poor.

Both magazines..

I had an idea both magazines would end a few years back…so im surprised it has taken this long.
    Yes, there is the web with vast amounts of information for free, not least facebook specifics to the exact model you are interested in, but i still feel my own theory has had a handle in the bulk of the demise, and probably for both magazines i shouldnt wonder…
    Its really perfectly simple.
    Since going the way of PC correct (regardless if you think it correct to do so) to fend of the anti gun lobbyists, or other slack jaw “aren't i being good” sheep reasons…it makes the read more boring than a sloth climbing a tree….fact..
    Its a bit like our nanny state, in dealing with the odd idiot boy racer….we all have to conform to driving over idiotic speed humps at 20 mph making driving less fun than picking your nose..

The magazine (Airgun world) use to be fun, humorous, and exciting…
    These magazines are so incredibly dull i do not even open them in Smiths for free anymore…
    …..no point arguing with me….its done…
    Last edited by Dave2345678; 07-05-2023 at 11:26 AM.

When I received my copy of Airgun Shooter a couple of weeks ago there was no mention of it finishing. Nothing on their Facebook page either

ccdjg is online now Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    When I received my copy of Airgun Shooter a couple of weeks ago there was no mention of it finishing. Nothing on their Facebook page either
    My information came directly from John Atkins.

Magazines

As we all get older and the younger generation have not much interest in our hobby and the powers of be are trying to destroy it then it's no real surprise. Mach 1.5