Thread: An interesting mystery underlever pistol

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

An interesting mystery underlever pistol

This pistol is mentioned in the First and Second Editions of the Encyclopedia of Spring Air Pistols, but is something of a mystery as for more than 15 years the maker has remained unknown, and this has been the only available picture.

Then recently another example (or possibly the same one) surfaced on Facebook, with more pictures. These show clearly the cocking process, the loading bolt, and the name “UNKAS”.

A few questions still remain unanswered - Who actually made it and in which country? Was it a prototype or are other examples known? What is going on in the dead space in the cylinder between its rear end and the barrel breech, and what are the two pins for?

The pistol has some similarities to the Hill pistol, but in that case the loading bay is fully to the rear of the pistol, so maximising piston stroke:

I'm not sure it is the same example. It may just be the lighting but the rake of the grip and the point on the trigger look different. Sounds a bit Eastern European do you think?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    I'm not sure it is the same example. It may just be the lighting but the rake of the grip and the point on the trigger look different. Sounds a bit Eastern European do you think?
    I agree, and the wear and varnish of the grips look different.

Isn't ' Indreg ' the short form for the Danish patent office? I have some motorcycle tools marked like that and that's what I was told when I bought them.

Absolutely no supporting evidence but when I read "Indreg" I immediately thought of Indian registered. Had a quick look but could not find an iota of information that might prove or disprove it. The later reply to your thread saying the pistol has similar markings to some motorcycle tools sounds more plausible. I will follow this with interest, intriguing pistol.

Unkas. Maybe a last Mohican. I also see it commonly used as name given to male German shepherd dogs

I think in Danish "indreg" simply means registration number, as in cars plates. So, probably a red herring.
    I sell TatarGan in the caliber of the pope. Iron sits in the crocodile. A light bun turned out.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    For me it is the same pistol. but how do you load a pellet, as the loading bolt is pulled back as far as it can go and no space for loading ?. and like you say John, what are the 2 pins for. l would like to know how it works. or am l missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    For me it is the same pistol. but how do you load a pellet, as the loading bolt is pulled back as far as it can go and no space for loading ?. and like you say John, what are the 2 pins for. l would like to know how it works. or am l missing something.
    Yes I wondered the same, the only way I can think of is to unscrew the bolt “handle” to slide the bolt back.

Cumbersome, but workable.

Muzzle loaded perhaps?, I certainly have no idea who made it or have ever seen one before, Col.

Just spotted in the rear view, there appears to be a slot at the top of the bolt housing, allowing the bolt to retract.

Also, in the first pic, the bolt handle shows a cutaway to fit a slot.

It is certainly an intriguing pistol, thanks to ccdjg for posting.
    Last edited by magicesperanto; 14-05-2023 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by magicesperanto View Post
    Just spotted in the rear view, there appears to be a slot at the top of the bolt housing, allowing the bolt to retract.

Also, in the first pic, the bolt handle shows a cutaway to fit a slot.

It is certainly an intriguing pistol, thanks to ccdjg for posting.
    You are on the ball! I went back to the original Facebook source (https://www.facebook.com/groups/325082117894842/) and found the following relevant pic I had missed, which shows exactly what you predict. All we need now is to account for the two pins - probably they are just a means of securing an insert that seals the end of the compression chamber.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    You are on the ball! I went back to the original Facebook source (https://www.facebook.com/groups/325082117894842/) and found the following relevant pic I had missed, which shows exactly what you predict. All we need now is to account for the two pins - probably they are just a means of securing an insert that seals the end of the compression chamber.

Thank you John for the missing photo. it shows me just how it loads now. and well spotted with the groove by the other member.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post

I thought that the 2 pins might secure a lump of metal that the grips fit on, which would save welding brackets to the cylinder.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    I thought that the 2 pins might secure a lump of metal that the grips fit on, which would save welding brackets to the cylinder.
    Guy, I did wonder that myself, but you can just see that there is a trigger housing that has been welded to the cylinder, so it would be more cost effective for that to be extended back to provide a fixing for the grip. The grip would then be secured to this by the two pins you can see.