Thread: Mk6 Meteor woes

Mk6 Meteor woes

I have problems with my newly acquired Mk6 The power is dreadfully low.
    I checked the power and it was only about 6.5 fpe (450fps with superdomes). Ho hum I thought and ordered a kit from Welsh Willy.
    1st stripdown revealing a broken mainspring and fitting Wills kit 450 fps again!
    Put a new breech seal 460 fps
    Second strip down with new piston seal and being very careful not to knick it on the deburred edges.
    Still 450-460 fps.
    Will wonders whether I have a continent spec. version with a small transfer port but I enlarged it VERY slightly with the same round file that I used on my MK4( too close to1/8 in for me to measure a difference) and asked me to check for a hole in the piston head. That must wait until after the Bash but I don't remember seeing one.

Does anyone have any ideas or actual figures for power on a .22 Mk6, or even general comments on the Gamo Meteors.
    P.s Wills kit has worked wonders again firing cycle wise.
    Last edited by Dornfelderliebe; 14-05-2023 at 09:05 AM. Reason: missed a bit
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    should make full power easy.. you have a massive leak someplace..
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Please God let it not be like an Hw35 internal leaking breech.

Funnily enough I have the same issue.
    New breech seal new piston seal average of 465 with rws superdomes. Tried several springs inc a titan and even an ox for good measure but output remains the same. Given up and resided myself to it being 7 ftlb . Don't think there is enough volume to get to the higher powers

There ought to be. I've just been out testing my MK3 &4 ready for the Bash, both breathed upon as per a previous post and both making 11 fpe the 'proper ' meteor cylinder is roughly the same diameter, what the strokes are I do not know apart from long stroking an extra 2mm.

I am not giving up on the Mk6, My back garden is short and overlooked so a slower pellet should be better for neighbourly relations.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    should make full power easy.. you have a massive leak someplace..
    The Mk6?? I think you have guns mixed up, the Mk6 is a short stroke junior Gamo tube.
    The Mk7 is a totally different stroy with a full length Gamo tube.

I've seen some power variations between the Mk6 tubes, but dont really remember the numbers.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    The Mk6?? I think you have guns mixed up, the Mk6 is a short stroke junior Gamo tube.
    The Mk7 is a totally different stroy with a full length Gamo tube.

I've seen some power variations between the Mk6 tubes, but dont really remember the numbers.
    ahhh.. then you are right. I didn't know there was a short stroke gamo version, only the long stroke version. The long stroke version is very efficient.

what is the stroke and bore of this "junior" one ? Should be easy to determine it;s potential..
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Bore is 25 mm measured by ruler over (used) piston seal but I don't know about stroke.

crossed threads

I've just measured the stroke of the MK6 measuring the piston at cocked and fired and found it to be 60mm vs 71 mm for a MK3 This must be the reason for the low power but I don't know how to calculate it from a given volume.

Going back to the thread on the broken spring where I just used the .177 barrel to test power and got 550 = 5.5 Fpe and the thread on barrel tight spots where my superdomes drop out. I don't think the barrel has anything to do with the power

It's a very short stroke.

I forgot to mention I've took 1.5-2 mm off the Mk3 head
    Last edited by Dornfelderliebe; 01-06-2023 at 12:53 PM. Reason: missed a bit

60mm, 25mm bore... I think 6-7 Fp is about right. For reference an hw30 is the same bore (well 26mm) and 64mm stroke, max 8 FP in .22

Thanks John. Well done Gamo