Thread: Nobel number 82 powder

Nobel number 82 powder

Just received a tin of above.. any ideas of the burn rate for use in reloading bullets? Obviously a fast powder.

amc577

Quote Originally Posted by amc577 View Post
    Just received a tin of above.. any ideas of the burn rate for use in reloading bullets? Obviously a fast powder.

amc577
    It's a shotgun powder used for 12 and 10 bore medium loads . Never used it for metallic, Red Dot was our choice for target pistol loads in the 1970's and 80's.
    Didn't know it was still sold and not seen any for ages.

shotgun 80 was my favourite powder for .38 loads back in the eighties and nineties. It was (is) very similar to gm3. Around 4gn is about right for 38spl. Shotgun 82 is very slightly slower burning and made for heavier loads in shotguns. In pistol loads you wouldn’t notice the difference. I occasionally acquire a tin or two and still happily use it. If the tin is sealed it will be fine. If it’s been opened try a few shots before you load up hundreds.

It’s a flake powder so it doesn’t meter well but for plinking loads it’s fine.

These are some that I found when I was clearing a friend's late husbands loading gear. The revolver No1 tin has a price tag of £11.35.
    Last edited by DesG; 18-05-2023 at 07:17 PM.
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

This powder has not been sold for many years so storage conditions would dictate if it was still usable Safety First. Having said the it was for pistol loads not for rifle reloading. I have loading charts for Nobel powders and it has limited use even in pistol calibres.

Be Safe TJ.

Nobel 82

The burn rate is apparently similar to Unique.. I will try it in reduced loads.... no worries.. some powders last for many years.. thanks for the info..

amc577

Nobel 80

I used it in. 44 mag rifle, just used the last of it, 8Grains with a 250 grn Kieth bullet will shoot a one hole group at 25 yards all day, also good up to 50 yards, wish I had more of it.
    Elwellaxe.

This is all the pistol data from the Nobel Reloading guide, hope this helps. If you want the shotgun data let me know there’s loads for it!