Thread: Resizing primed 6.5 CM cases which have been neck sized only for another rifle

Resizing primed 6.5 CM cases which have been neck sized only for another rifle

Advice please

I’m changing my 6.5 CM rifle for another but have some loaded rounds (which I’m going to pull) which were neck resized only and also some primed cases ready to load which are similarly neck sized only. All cases were trimmed where required.

Am I correct in thinking that if I remove the decapping/ expander core section from a full length die and then resize the primed cases with it, then essentially those cases are FL resized and therefore ok to firstly try in the new rifle chamber to check chambering and extraction, and then load ?

Thanks

Might depend on your dies, but essentially yes, if you can remove just the decapping pin it might be a better option.
    Most of my dies have the decapping pins removed as I use a universal decapping die on a cheap press for that
    Do nothing, achieve nothing

Some dies have an expander on the decapping pin to size the neck when the pin/die is removed from the case.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

Yes mine does - the pin is held in the expander
    As the cases are already neck sized should I remove just the pin or the whole assembly

Thanks for the advice guys

You never know but they might fit without any resizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Old phil View Post
    As the cases are already neck sized should I remove just the pin or the whole assembly

I'd just remove the pin, but I always full length resize, if your happy to neck size why now try a case to see how it chambers
    Do nothing, achieve nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Old phil View Post

A FL size at this stage will likely still affect the neck as well, the expander should be used to keep the neck tension consistent.

It is not a big job to de-cap the live primer when FL sizing so just reseat the primer after. I've done similar many times for various reasons.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.