Thread: Tin Grip Webley junior Question.

Tin Grip Webley junior Question.

I was wondering why the Webley tin grip air pistol made in the 1930s had a smoothbore barrel as most other webley pistols before this had rifled barrels, was it made for shooing darts ?

I think pretty much all juniors had a smoothboreprobably because they were quite low power aimed at young shooters hence the name

I had always thought that the smoothbore juniors, both pre and post war were so that youngsters had the option to fire darts and potentially increase the fun they could get from them over the minimal gain from a rifled bore, which in a way could help to sell the bigger contemporary models

Cheaper to make, aimed at youngsters (no pun intended). The Bruce book says they were 'primarily intended as an indoor practise pistol, using darts rather than pellets'. Apparently, they could be ordered with a rifled barrel? Bruce, page 48.

ATB
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    Cheaper to make, aimed at youngsters (no pun intended). The Bruce book says they were 'primarily intended as an indoor practise pistol, using darts rather than pellets'. Apparently, they could be ordered with a rifled barrel? Bruce, page 48.

ATB
    Intresting, I have never seen a tin grip Junior with a rifled barrel does anyone own one ?

Quote Originally Posted by Maple View Post
    I had always thought that the smoothbore juniors, both pre and post war were so that youngsters had the option to fire darts and potentially increase the fun they could get from them over the minimal gain from a rifled bore, which in a way could help to sell the bigger contemporary models
    Correct.

My Stoeger Junior has a rifled barrel, so possibly an enhanced option for the export market?

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    My Stoeger Junior has a rifled barrel, so possibly an enhanced option for the export market?

John
    Is it a tin grip pistol john.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjjjj View Post
    Is it a tin grip pistol john.
    'tis indeed
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.