Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No postage

Quote Originally Posted by HW777 View Post
    All royal mail need to do is increase the size limit on RMSD and give a clear guide line of how items need to to be wrapped.

It may cost £25-35 to send a rifle but for the piece of mind, I think it would be worth it.
    RM really have no interest in serving the airgun community, it is only the fact that they were forced to provide some sort of service at privatisation.

Antoni is online now There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    Some sellers want an absolutely trouble-free sale where both parties are perfectly clear abt the deal and no arguments can follow. That's face to face.

That's me.

When I buy (very few times) I go and look.

When I sell (very few times) I advertise and accept a lower price than could be had if I took the risk of shipping.

Not even a remotely reasonable person could ever be inconvenienced or annoyed by the application of those two policies.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Quote Originally Posted by Wing Commander View Post
    The ones who are very keen to post are the ones to avoid.
    There is usually a reason why they don't want you to see the goods.

Caveat emptor.
    All the more reason pictures should be required in sales posts.
    It might also be because they live in a more remote location,
    when you live in the middle of the country most places are reasonably close.

Quote Originally Posted by Antoni View Post
    Not even a remotely reasonable person could ever be inconvenienced or annoyed by the application of those two policies.
    While not exactly renowned for my being reasonable

Should you be selling an item I wanted, it would be something like a 460 mile round trip, as of today the average cost of running a car is 47p per mile so collection would cost at least £216 and take up a whole day.

Therefore, yes I would be both extremely inconvenienced and rather more than just "annoyed"

As I said above, when you live centrally you don't always appreciate the issues for those who don't.

just saying

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post

Should you be selling an item I wanted, it would be something like a 460 mile round trip, as of today the average cost of running a car is 47p per mile so collection would cost at least £216 and take up a whole day.

Therefore, yes I would be both extremely inconvenienced and rather more than just "annoyed"

As I said above, when you live centrally you don't always appreciate the issues for those who don't.

just saying
    I think this calculation fails to take into account fixed and variable cost in running a car. The cost of a single journey is fuel and if one is to be pedantic wear and tear accumulated during the Journey.
    If not doing weekly runs to collect a rifle I would factor in fuel only.
    Fixed costs are costs which cannot be avoided whilst owning the car. Insurance, deprecation, MOT AA/RAC etc. and this is included in the quoted pence per mile figure.
    A pedant might argue that deprecation is semi variable in that if you own a car and do very few miles it will depreciate less.

What cannot be avoided is using a whole day up.

So pick a maximum distance you want to travel and just assume your marginal fuel costs for the Journey. Heck your diesel car might thankyou for a motorway journey if you normally only drive around town.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

Caveat emptor.
    I disagree with the above comment as I have recently sold two pistols in great condition via post.
    Good deals done with: Aimstraight, mulletman6, GwyneddATC, evo97k, Hotwired, Ryan hw99s & Clipper.
    Gun owned .177 FAS 6004 Target pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dornfelderliebe View Post
    I think this calculation fails to take into account fixed and variable cost in running a car. The cost of a single journey is fuel and if one is to be pedantic wear and tear accumulated during the Journey.
    If not doing weekly runs to collect a rifle I would factor in fuel only.
    Fixed costs are costs which cannot be avoided whilst owning the car. Insurance, deprecation, MOT AA/RAC etc. and this is included in the quoted pence per mile figure.
    A pedant might argue that deprecation is semi variable in that if you own a car and do very few miles it will depreciate less.

What cannot be avoided is using a whole day up.

So pick a maximum distance you want to travel and just assume your marginal fuel costs for the Journey. Heck your diesel car might thankyou for a motorway journey if you normally only drive around town.
    Well I asked my search engine & it said 47p/mile.

But to be accurate on top of fuel has to go wear on the tyres and the mileage between services
    it could also be argued for food & drinks on route.

Personally the above example would be circa 10% of my annual average, but it was an example simply to make a point.

I post items because I accept it's quite a drive to get down here.

But they aren't there for the benefit of gun owners we probably make up such an infinitely small % of their business it doesn't register,
    It's all the other c**p they'd have to carry .

Plus, remember they only carry guns because they were told they have to at privatisation, by whoever the regulator was, as they are the only carrier for the general public.
    They offer a service regardless of what you are posting, a size increase on the RMSD service is all that is needed and with that increase in size, more business will be created and more profit made.

All they need to do is train their post office staff to all handle with care, which is what they should be doing anyways.

If a item is packaged well it's only how it's handled that is an issue.

Now who's going to ask RM to increase their RMSD sizes, for if enough people ask RM might consider it.
    Hw77+7

Caveat emptor.
    Thats absolute bollocks and makes no sense. If you go to collect it you will see the gun. If they post it you only have pictures to go on so your reply makea no sense at all.

Picking up in person will give you the chance to try the rifle. Recieving it posted you take risks. But we all know we cannot travel 200 miles to collect a gun. So move on and wait for another who will post.

Nothing that contravenes the rules

Quote Originally Posted by svincett View Post
    To be fair, I’ve stopped posting air rifles mainly as there’s no post office within a 15 mile radius that will accept an air rifle for posting !

I’ve shown them the Royal Mail leaflet showing that is acceptable to send via parcel force 48 hr but they insist it’s their choice not mine

😵💫😤
    Just say this to any PO staff when posting air gun stuff.

Nothing that contravenes the rules.

When asked what are you posting.

You don't have to tell them what your posting, they are just over stepping the mark if they insist you have to tell them.

Stick to your guns and don't back down
    Hw77+7

Antoni is online now There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!

just saying
    Yes I see your point but don't agree with it.

As said in a different thread, other than a really cheap item I won't deal with anyone without a telephone conversation prior.

You cannot be annoyed or inconvenienced if no transaction takes place.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Quote Originally Posted by davethepitch View Post
    I guess I will be slated over this post but I get disgruntled when someone puts no postage on a for sale item.
    I have seen a couple of adverts where I would have purchased the item if they offered postage.
    I understand that people want buyers to be happy but there is a good deals sticky to reflect a good sale.
    Dave
    I bought an item that got lost , It turned up over a week later, Problem is if gun gets lost not only is there £100 max payout, Apparently, But the seller would have to do all the claiming, So that would be a lot of info and emails sending etc , Basically it's not worth the hassle unless the buyer dont mind not pursuing any loss if gun gets lost, When I made inquiries parcel force said the seller would have to make the claim, They would want description, size, weight , values, receipts etc etc, Its not worth the hassle claiming unless your retired or not working and just board, Some sellers may not want the hassle, Hey a couple of hours driving to buy a gun is most probs the best option, Or just pay for the rfd charges,

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    There are always two sides to a coin, this is just one of them, have a search and you will find people complaining that sellers will only "post at the buyers request and risk" - you can't win But why should the seller be inconvenienced and post if they just don't want to? Those are the terms of the sale
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    The one that gets me is seeing something I really want, but it says: "WILL NOT POST. NO OFFERS!" So you scroll on by.

Three days later it’s sold for 70% of the asking price and it was posted!