Thread: When did BSA change to 5.5mm barrels

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

When did BSA change to 5.5mm barrels

A short while ago somebody asked this and nobody knows.
    I checked my small Meteor collection plus my Mercury S and got this very limited result. Just by loading superdomes into the breech.
    All Meteor Mk 1-4 allow the pellet to drop in 3-4 mm without resistance, ditto the Merc.S.
    My Mk6 needs the pellet to be pushed firmly into the breech just as my Hw99 does suggesting it is meant that way and I suspect it to be a genuine 5.5.
    Sadly my Mk5 is .177 so can any one else do the same test then assuming we can date the various Mks, we might be able to infer a rough date.
    The Mk6 barrel also differs in that it has only one hole for the front sight, matching the modern front sights.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

It is a very good question and one that I think I asked before too. I don't recall that there was a definitive answer. Perhaps someone will know and respond.

Rgds
    Andrew.

I have Meteors, Airsporters etc in my collection….up to Mk4 Meteors (in my lot) Superdomes “drop” in a few mm into the barrel…in my Mk5 they don’t but “seat” normally. So as far as my guns are concerned, 5.5mm barrels start from Mk5 onwards !

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    I shall check on Sunday (if I remember) as I have several .22 beezas now, I have mk1 and 2 Mercury S and an early Supersport and Lightning, I shall try a Superdome in each and see what happens.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

We generally say around 1986 was the change, when they went to European sizes (something to do with EU)

Quote Originally Posted by gunshop View Post
    We generally say around 1986 was the change, when they went to European sizes (something to do with EU)
    1986 was when GAMO bought BSA....
    Too many airguns!