Thread: Scope Flip Up Covers?

Scope Flip Up Covers?

Hi guys. I'm looking to buy a scope flip up cover for the front objective on my Vortex Diamondback 3-12x40 HP scope. I've measured the front of the scopes objective and It's about 49mm from the centre and edge to edge. So my question Is guys, should I order a flip cover a size down or a size up? Or should I order the nearest measurement to 49mm?

The flip cover that I'm interested In buying Is the Butler Creek and these are a few of the options available before I purchase.

Cheers lads.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/4716/QHH2Sz.jpg
    Last edited by luckymjr; 26-05-2023 at 03:39 PM.
    God created man and god created woman
    Sam colt made them equal

Quote Originally Posted by luckymjr View Post
    Hi guys. I'm looking to buy a scope flip up cover for the front objective on my Vortex Diamondback 3-12x40 HP scope. I've measured the front of the scopes objective and It's about 49mm from the centre and edge to edge. So my question Is guys, should I order a flip cover a size down or a size up? Or should I order the nearest measurement to 49mm?

The flip cover that I'm interested In buying Is the Butler Creek and these are a few of the options available before I purchase.

Cheers lads.

I don't know BUT JS ramsbottom have detailed info on their flip up covers

https://www.jsramsbottom.com/jsr-fli...low-clear.html
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dornfelderliebe View Post
    I don't know BUT JS ramsbottom have detailed info on their flip up covers

https://www.jsramsbottom.com/jsr-fli...low-clear.html
    Thanks for the reply. But I've already tried those flip up covers from the above link on another scope, and talk about cheap and nasty. In fact, one of the covers wouldn't even clip shut when fitted so we're totally useless.
    Sam colt made them equal

Have you thought about the hawke scooe cover instead.

I was in same boat looking for decent covers but had too little clearance get them on without touching the action.

I opted for this as an alternative

https://uk.hawkeoptics.com/neoprene-scope-covers.html

Cheers lads.

I would strongly advise buying the Vortex brand flip ups instead of the Butler Creeks. They are far more substancial.

Steve C.
    AirArms S400k L/H (.177)BTAS, tuned, AirArms S410k L/H (.177) walnut, BTAS tuned, AA MPR .177 L/H walnut (STOLEN) and...L/H EV2
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
    I would strongly advise buying the Vortex brand flip ups instead of the Butler Creeks. They are far more substancial.

Steve C.

To be honest I don't really trust the Vortex measuring Info. Why, because not so long ago I was after a Vortex eyepiece flip up cover for my Vortex Diamondback 3-12x42 HP scope. So to make sure that I ordered the correct size I contacted Vortex customer services directly to ask which size eyepiece cover I should buy. And they recommended the Defender E10. But when I purchased and fitted the cover It was miles too big. So because of this I've had to wrap tape around the scopes eyepiece bell just to stop the flip up cover from falling off each time I flip open the cover.

And also, now that I've wrapped tape around the eyepiece bell I can no longer adjust the clarity dial on the scope because It's been taped over.
    Hence the reason why I'm now looking to buy a different brand of cover other than Vortex.
    Sam colt made them equal

To be honest I don't really trust the Vortex measuring Info. Why, because not so long ago I was after a Vortex eyepiece flip up cover for my Vortex Diamondback 3-12x42 HP scope. So to make sure that I ordered the correct size I contacted Vortex customer services directly to ask which size eyepiece cover I should buy. And they recommended the Defender E10. But when I purchased and fitted the cover It was miles too big. So because of this I've had to wrap tape around the scopes eyepiece bell just to stop the flip up cover from falling off each time I flip open the cover.

And also, now that I've wrapped tape around the eyepiece bell I can no longer adjust the clarity dial on the scope because It's been taped over.
    Hence the reason why I'm now looking to buy a different brand of cover other than Vortex.
    Well I've found that the 0-32 (eyebell) and the 0-40 (objective) fits the Diamondback 3-9 x 40 like a glove.
    The problems I had with the Butler Creeks was they would consistantly throw the cover into the undergrowth...lost forever, after a few days. I had 3 replacements within a few weeks that all suffered the same fate.

Steve C.
    AirArms S400k L/H (.177)BTAS, tuned, AirArms S410k L/H (.177) walnut, BTAS tuned, AA MPR .177 L/H walnut (STOLEN) and...L/H EV2
    BASC

Well I've found that the 0-32 (eyebell) and the 0-40 (objective) fits the Diamondback 3-9 x 40 like a glove.
    What make of flip up covers are you referring to? Vortex? Because like I said, Vortex customer services themselves on more than 1 occasion recommended to me the Defender E10 for the eyepiece cover for the Diamondback 3-12x42 HP scope, and It was far too big
    Last edited by luckymjr; 30-05-2023 at 10:10 AM.
    Sam colt made them equal

What make of flip up covers are you referring to? Vortex? Because like I said, Vortex customer services themselves on more than 1 occasion recommended to me the Defender E10 for the eyepiece cover for the Diamondback 3-12x42 HP scope, and It was far too big
    Well they've got the Vortex logo on the outside and say Vortex Defender on the inside and the sizes, so I'll go out on a limb and say Vortex... and they are good.

Steve C.
    BASC

Well they've got the Vortex logo on the outside and say Vortex Defender on the inside and the sizes, so I'll go out on a limb and say Vortex... and they are good.

Steve C.
    They may Indeed be good quality, but that's not much good if they don't fit properly like the recommended Defender E10 doesn't on my Diamondbacks eyepiece. Because If I was to remove the tape that I've had to wrap around the eyepiece bell, the cover would literally move and nearly fall off every time I tried to flip It open.

And maybe your diamondback 3-9x40 has a slightly larger eyepiece bell than my 3-12x42 HP scope. Thus accounting for your Defenders E10 tighter fit.
    Last edited by luckymjr; 01-06-2023 at 08:46 AM.
    Sam colt made them equal

B&C are rubbish. They snap off as they moulding is a 90°L shape that causes stress fractures. Vortex will be better. B&Cs can also be extremely size fussy with no wiggle.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill