Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marksman Pellets .177

Marksman Pellets .177

I have a friend down south who told me he had boxes of .177 pellets he wanted to sell as they'd been in his fishing tackle shop for a number of years and the area he lives there not many of his customers go shooting with air rifles.
    These are the pellets he wants to sell me and i wondered what they would be worth so i don't make a silly offer?
    I have seen pictures of them opened and there's a lot of dust, etc in the pellets. There's 3 boxes of the red ones and 18 boxes of the green.

Those pellets are still current production and freely available in those coloured boxes.

Nothing special at all. Check the bay for prices . Don't worry that his goldmine has turned out to be a leadmine

Cheap plinking pellet £50 for the lot!

Brilliant cheap plinking pellets. What are they worth ?? Check average prices on a Google search then knock a bit off. I use them quitte a bit for "fun" shooting & save more expensive pellets for when I have my serious head on.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Whilst not in 177 I recently bought a super 10 and needed to find the best pellet as it didn't come recommended with any. So a little grouping session at 25 mtrs produced these results

Basically the last pellet I expected to group at all (and that is 5 shots even tho it looks Iike 4 holes) was the dusty marksman. I shall be buying some more and using a more stable rest as my wallpapering table wasnt brilliant.
    Super soaker 3000 (water), nerf fang (foam), noisy cricket (energy), m41a pulse rifle (10x24), Gat gun (.177)

Thanks for the replies, I had a word with my mate and he said I could have the lot for £35 posted so I quite happily accepted his offer and I asked him if he was sure he wanted to sell them at that price and he is so I've thousands of pellets to plink with in the garden now on top of the few thousand I already have.

As a plinking pellet they are fine, and ok for short range hunting too - I use them myself. Hopefully 10 of the .177 will still be plastic wrapped. If you open a box and don't use them that quickly it can be worth transferring to a tin and adding some pellet lube as they do oxidise relatively quickly (at least I've found that with some boxes). Generally fairly good value. Especially for what you paid.

Marksman seem always to get described as 'OK..ish' or 'not the best', 'alright for coke cans' etc - but on this forum and 'elsewhere' I've seen people show them a few times grouping better than some of the expensive 'darlings'.
    As in this very thread!

Then .. the next time the subject of Marksman is raised, they will again be described as '.. meh .. ok for coke cans'

Each to their own of course and i'm being a bit tongue in cheek perhaps - but I think we should tip a hat to the good ol' Marksman British pellet! - still made by the Lincoln Jefferies family.

Good deal

I would of happily paid £50 so £35 is great and loads of cheap fun , get the plastic soldier out!!

over 30-40 years go apart from the Pylarm and the Wasp every where sold them , tackle shop's ,farm supplies anywhere where a young lad wanted to get them sold them .
    remember also when you could buy on instalments a shotgun or an airifle from the the Kay's catalogue etc.

Marksman was all I used throughout my teenage years. Shot plenty of feather and fur with them.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Very good in old rifles, l found my prewar BSAs liked them.

Edtwozeronine is offline I say dear boy, would you mind awfully doing as you're told?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Strimmer View Post
    Whilst not in 177 I recently bought a super 10 and needed to find the best pellet as it didn't come recommended with any. So a little grouping session at 25 mtrs produced these results

Basically the last pellet I expected to group at all (and that is 5 shots even tho it looks Iike 4 holes) was the dusty marksman. I shall be buying some more and using a more stable rest as my wallpapering table wasnt brilliant.
    Air arms are good pellets when they don't turn up with half the tin dented and deformed to f#&*, my rifles love the heavies.
    ***Proud Member of Castleton Air Rifle Club***

Marksman was my go to for all my old bsas, just never thought of putting them through a PCP
    Super soaker 3000 (water), nerf fang (foam), noisy cricket (energy), m41a pulse rifle (10x24), Gat gun (.177)

I've used Marksman for years and have no problem apart from those pointed ones. The round nose type perform reasonably well, even out to 40 yards but I avoid the pointed ones and don't trust them beyond about 10