Thread: Are all .177 pellets the same size

Are all .177 pellets the same size

I have two tins of .177 pellets but one tin of pellets is harder to put into the breech than the other tin
    Good deals done with: Aimstraight, mulletman6, GwyneddATC, evo97k, Hotwired, Ryan hw99s & Clipper.
    Gun owned .177 FAS 6004 Target pistol.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Short answer; no.

Long answer; nooooooooooooooooo

I wondered why I'm struggling with one tin I thought they were all the same size.
    Good deals done with: Aimstraight, mulletman6, GwyneddATC, evo97k, Hotwired, Ryan hw99s & Clipper.
    Gun owned .177 FAS 6004 Target pistol.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by davethepitch View Post
    I wondered why I'm struggling with one tin I thought they were all the same size.
    Decent pellets will have a sticker on the bottom of the tin with the head size (typically 4.50-4.53)
    Occasionally these numbers will be somewhere close to the actual size.

As Nick says, some manufacturers offer different sizes of the same pellet, the idea being that certain sizes will suit certain barrels better. I've never gone into the measuring thing, but many who have came to the conclusion that stated size bore no resemblance to actual size in many cases. The hardness of the pellet will also have an effect on how easy or hard it is to load. And as the manufacturing equipment ages and wears tolerances / sizes might vary?

Having said all that, a couple of years ago, a shooting friend was struggling to get the expected accuracy from his rifle. I let him try some H&N FTT. That previously elusive accuracy was found. When he bought some he found that they were a much tighter fit in the breech, and much harder to load. Now, I can't remember exactly what those stated sizes were, but I think mine were 4.50mm and the ones he had bought were 4.52 or 4.53. He then went ahead and bought some 4.50 and they fitted like mine.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Sample Packs

Quote Originally Posted by davethepitch View Post
    I have two tins of .177 pellets but one tin of pellets is harder to put into the breech than the other tin
    Buy some sample packs. They are a little more expensive per pellet for the tin, but you will save a fortune by not going from brand to brand, light to heavy, 4.49-4.53 until you find the pellet that your gun likes. And in the meantime, discovering that half the ones you want are not in stock. That is why, many, many shooters on here and other forums find the pellet that works, and buy in bulk (some cost savings too).

I just use what I buy, never bother looking to see what size variation I have. They either work & classed as hunting or not work & classed as suitable for plinking. Sub 1" (prefer sub 1/2") groups hunting sub 2" is plinking, anything over are used for trigger / breathing control practice. Same goes for mangled pellets in the tin, they all have a use & none wasted ! Having worked in hot closed die forging & casting plus cold forming my guess is different head size is due to wear of the dies & QC tolerances so new dies start at .49 & die wear is limited to .53Q
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Even in the same tin there is variation in head size and weight.

Accurately measuring a soft metal like lead is rather subjective to ordinary folk like me and to a certain degree dependent on the consistency of the measurer and the measuring tools. I have tried to measure with micrometer pellets from the same tin...end up chasing my tail.
    Don't worry what measurement numbers tell you, let the accuracy results tell you what pellet is/is not good for that particular barrel. If the tin says .177/4.5, it will be generally ok in guns of that calibre, but when it comes to accuracy, forget the numbers and see what the pellet does on the target.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Even in the same tin there is variation in head size and weight.
    But a label proves they are special magical pellets. I never weigh either but understand some consistency is needed with some styles of target shooting. No good looking at critical defined QC if most shooting is in windy fields or woods especially if you drink coffee.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.