Thread: Question for HW enthusiasts

Question for HW enthusiasts

I bought, a while ago, a second hand TBT tuned HW99 in 22. This is an excellent rifle; it is light but what really amazed me is that it makes hardly any noise on firing - presumably because it is tuned, although it also has a moderator. I have never heard such a remarkably silent springer.

It is only recently that I have had an opportunity to test it and I am still trying various pellets to see what suits it best. Any guidance here will be appreciated.

It begs the question, what is the difference between it and an HW95? It seems they share a similar power and the same trigger. The 95 has interchangeable elements on the foresight, I think, and is a little heavier. Is there any difference in terms of accuracy? Clearly, the heavier weight will reduce the kick a tad. But is there any other noticeable difference (other than price)?

Rgds to all
    Andrew.

https://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread...ious-springers

The 95 is slightly larger and has a one piece cocking lever vs the articulated item of the 99. Longer stroke too (see above) and stock differences, amongst other things.

Hope the above helps.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hi Andrew. Please excuse the short reply above although, hopefully, helpful. This further reply still won't be exhaustive and, hopefully, others will chip in.
    As said, the 99 (50 in some markets) is a little smaller and lighter. I think the barrel outside diameter may be slightly smaller, too?
    To me, the main differences are the internals, as above, and the cocking lever arrangement.
    In terms of accuracy / recoil, for UK power levels, many people actually prefer the manners of the 99's shorter stroke action, with the 95 shining more at higher power levels. Indeed, Tinbum himself sells piston nose extensions which many people have fitted to the 95 to try and get the feel closer to that of the 99. Most will say they're an improvement. And some people certainly prefer to go down this route as opposed to buying the 99 with its reported (sometimes just perceived, other times noticeable) propensity to "galling" where the cocking lever can nibble away at the cylinder. Rectifying this, if present, is an easy fix, though.

I have numerous 99s and 95s and love them all.

Pellets - I don't find them pellet fussy at all. All my Weihrauch springers have always shot very nicely with RWS pellets. Mainly Superdome and Hobby. In more recent times when I have conducted pellet tests, the H&N FTT has risen to the top of my list. Definitely worth a try. And do try the JSB Jumbo RS.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hi Tony!

Thank you for that detailed response and the link you kindly provided was filled with fascinating information. Not being technically minded, some of the statistical significance would have to be explained to me but that is a very useful record for reference purposes.

My 99 is quite recent, so I think the galling issue was largely addressed after factory modifications. I am still astonished at the quietness of the shot, which is better than on some pcps.

I have used the warm still weather to carry out some testing and have also noticed that the 99 is not pellet fussy, unlike some rifles where pellet difference is massive. I have also noted that the JSB Exacts group very well. I also see that they are quite light, at only 13.43g - but are also one of the more costly pellets. Superdomes also do well, as a good all rounder pellet (they excel on my Diana 280 and LGV). I will conduct more testing with the H&N FTT.

Your remarks about the 95 excelling at higher power levels presumably refer to those with FACs or for the USA market, given that in this market, the 95 and 99 are of equal power.

I hope, over the w/end, to carry out tests on the LGV which I am using with open sights which, like the old BSA Standard, I find very well defined and accurate. I am thinking of fixing an aperture sight to this in due course, given its weight.

Kind rgds
    Andrew.