Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you guys check for tight spots in your barrel

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User

Do you guys check for tight spots in your barrel

I checked my .22 80 today for tight spots with green pellets and the first 4ins were nice and tight then went loose until the choke I was disappointed I then checked my spare .177 barrel made in W Germany and it was even all the way until the choke, so it looks like that I might be going scope only .177 with the 80, any comments?

Not looking forward to checking my Diana and AA.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    if there are accuracy issues, then i check.. also look for damage..
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

i always rod a pellet through a new barrel ,just to check for tightness or burr's on the pellet .
    BSA SUPERSPORT V-mach .22
    RAW hm1000x 177
    Steyr challenge hft 177 SYWELL FT CLUB

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    if there are accuracy issues, then i check.. also look for damage..
    I have no accuracy issues at all but it must be losing power with certain pellets and who wants tight spots in their barrel anyway

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    I have never done this with any barrel ever.
    Master Debater

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I have never done this with any barrel ever.
    Best not to it will turn you off the gun

The barrel is the main part of the gun and its nice to know its not a lemon

I shoot some pellets into a roll of foam and check the rifling marks, if they look good then I'll only run a pellet through the barrel with a cleaning rod when I clean it.

If accuracy is good regardless of tight/loose spots I wouldn't worry to much.

Some chokes can be over tight though, I picked up a Mk2 .177 77 some time back that had barely seen any use and the power was down, when I checked the rifling marks the choke had sized the pellets down to about 4mm the rest of the barrel up to that point was good, so when I sold it I did make the new owner aware it would need the choke removing.
    Hw77+7

Quote Originally Posted by HW777 View Post
    I shoot some pellets into a roll of foam and check the rifling marks, if they look good then I'll only run a pellet through the barrel with a cleaning rod when I clean it.

If accuracy is good regardless of tight/loose spots I wouldn't worry to much.

Some chokes can be over tight though, I picked up a Mk2 .177 77 some time back that had barely seen any use and the power was down, when I checked the rifling marks the choke had sized the pellets down to about 4mm the rest of the barrel up to that point was good, so when I sold it I did make the new owner aware it would need the choke removing.
    But its not just the choke if you push a pellet through a barrel, you can feel any tight or loose spots before you get to the choke.

Quote Originally Posted by HW777 View Post
    Is your Hw80 .22 barrel shooting with good accuracy ?
    Yes that is what is so disappointing now I know its got a tight spot affecting its power and its not as efficient as it could be

It isn't something that I've ever done nor felt the need to. As some others have said, I would do it if I felt there was an accuracy issue.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    It isn't something that I've ever done nor felt the need to. As some others have said, I would do it if I felt there was an accuracy issue.
    I only checked because I was looking at my spare barrel and remembered hearing about tight spots in barrels.
    I have been thinking about it and I think that there is only a problem when using green pellets as the soft skirt will take up any slack with lead, my .22 80 barrel loses a fair bit of power when using green pellets as dose my Diana but my TX loses none so I am expecting the Diana to have a tight spot when I check it later and the TX to have no tight spots

Understood, Barry.

And I won't be using any of those tin pellets until we're forced to, should that ever be the case in the future.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

When I have rifles apart in the workshop, I usually push a few pellets through the barrel.
    If you have never done this before, you'd be surprised how many barrels are tight at the breech, only to be save by the choke.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    When I have rifles apart in the workshop, I usually push a few pellets through the barrel.
    If you have never done this before, you'd be surprised how many barrels are tight at the breech, only to be save by the choke.
    Do you agree this can lead to power lose and are the newer HW barrels better?

I was trying to find out why an Airmagnum barrel was hopelessly inaccurate and I did try pushing pellets down the barrel. It was an "interesting" exercise because I found that there is/was a tight spot about two thirds of the way down the barrel at a point which seemed to coincide with a "dovetail" shaped notch that is deeply machined into the barrel. It did concern me that this tight spot had apparently been made during the machining/manufacturing process. However, the inaccuracy seemed to be nothing at all to do with the tight spot, but was caused by a poor crown. Visually the crown looked fine, but in desperation, and thinking I had nothing to loose, I coarsely reground the crown and the accuracy was transformed.
    The lesson seemed to be that the last quarter inch of the barrel is most critical to "accuracy" but I was pretty shocked by the depth of the machined notch in the barrel and the tight spot it had caused. Afraid that has made me suspicious of Umarex quality. (I think the notch is associated with retaining the 88g bottle cover on the Airmagnum, but i have since fitted a straight barrel)
    Last edited by Shedder; 30-05-2023 at 10:37 PM.