Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Britannia could only have originated in England- what a insane piece of machinery

The Britannia could only have originated in England- what a insane piece of machinery

My Time Machine got a little rusty with this one but very cool anyway. Looks all original with the second type rear sight? Below are way too many pics as usual but this one deserves it. Unbelievable design, so complicated and well executed. I’m putting my favorite picture below and then a link to more. Shoots reliably but doubt it’s up to full power which is fine for my purposes. (I not out to rival Matt in his exploits!) It was his awesome videos that hooked me.

Link:

https://imgur.com/a/mWQkSk5

Well you may have a point, Webley Fosbery, the Highest Possible, Mars pistol by Gabbet-Fairfax, they spring to mind, yes theres some odd machinery about, quite a bit of still works though

Your example of the Britannia looks really nice, reckon you will get a good bit of enjoyment from being the new custodian. Atb

Why complicated? Every feature that is needed to make a fine air rifle is there in simple form. They are one of the most compact serious air rifles made and even if re-made today would attract a large market, with a trigger revised to suit todays tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    Why complicated? Every feature that is needed to make a fine air rifle is there in simple form. They are one of the most compact serious air rifles made and even if re-made today would attract a large market, with a trigger revised to suit todays tastes.

I hear you but certainly complicated compared to what would be the American “carbine” of the early 20th century. I post the Britannia on my American vintage site and they are taken back by all the pieces and parts in motion. Been shooting it today and it’s hitting pretty hard with good accuracy but my 2nd series rear sight is pretty poor? Very wide V. I can see why they quickly developed their 3rd and fully adjustable one. Would love to test that sight or an aperture sight on it. Mine would be no match for my 1919 BSA Light with factory aperture or the aperture sighted Crosman below? But this is 1905. It is an amazing piece of machinery.

Last edited by 45flint; 30-04-2023 at 07:18 PM.

Looking for a Britannia myself. One will come up one day, so not in a rush. Seen some crap restored ones for silly money, just because the are in a rare calibre or just a Britannia, wont be fooled at silly prices. Enjoy your new purchase, very nice bit of kit.

Hi Steve,
    Looking through your pictures it seems you have got a really nice example.

Your rearsight is probably rarer than the later Bonehill patent adjustable one you usually see, it must be early 1905.
    I have a flip up type two leaf sight that was on a much later ‘Anglo sureshot’ marked Britannia sn.1153. (probably) late 1905

Interestingly yours has a very similarly shaped adjustment wheel to the later micrometer rearsight, and I really like the height adjustment marks on the back of the sight.

Also your Britannia has the best example of the Britannia stamp I’ve seen. I thought they all thinned out in the centre of the stamp due to wear on the stamp used, or perhaps the shape of the flat that was being stamped. Yours is uniformly deep, maybe indicative of an early example that was stamped with a fresh tool.

I think it has not been messed with, rubbed down or refinished like so many have.
    It seems to have plenty of original finish remaining, personally I wouldn’t do anything to it beyond a light rub with some 0000 wire wool & oil. The stock looks nice and dark and is best left as is IMO.

The barrel catch not resting in the fully forward position is a good sign and probably indicates minimum wear and a good breech seal. If you don’t want to take it apart a few drops of neatsfoot oil down the transfer port will lubricate the piston a bit.

It does have the extremely awkward sear adjustment where you can only adjust it when the gun is cocked (!?!) but I disconnect the end cap then you can cock it under no spring tension and adjust the trigger sear more easily.

I have been doing this on my scruffy peepsight ‘supertarget’ version for about six months on and off, turning the screw in a millimetre at a time and then testing down the range till it finally got light enough to be very accurate, then secured it with threadlock.
    EXTREME CAUTION if you set it too light it goes off while you’re cocking it and that is absolutely terrifying.
    I milled the sear flat for maximum surface engagement, increased the sear spring preload accordingly and adjusted the sear screw in millimetre by millimetre to be safe.
    If it feels ok as it is I’d leave it alone.

Well done, I doubt you could find another Britannia that’s had as little use.

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Hi Steve,
    Looking through your pictures it seems you have got a really nice example.

Your rearsight is probably rarer than the later Bonehill patent adjustable one you usually see, it must be early 1905.
    I have a flip up type two leaf sight that was on a much later ‘Anglo sureshot’ marked Britannia sn.1153. (probably) late 1905

Interestingly yours has a very similarly shaped adjustment wheel to the later micrometer rearsight, and I really like the height adjustment marks on the back of the sight.

Also your Britannia has the best example of the Britannia stamp I’ve seen. I thought they all thinned out in the centre of the stamp due to wear on the stamp used, or perhaps the shape of the flat that was being stamped. Yours is uniformly deep, maybe indicative of an early example that was stamped with a fresh tool.

I think it has not been messed with, rubbed down or refinished like so many have.
    It seems to have plenty of original finish remaining, personally I wouldn’t do anything to it beyond a light rub with some 0000 wire wool & oil. The stock looks nice and dark and is best left as is IMO.

The barrel catch not resting in the fully forward position is a good sign and probably indicates minimum wear and a good breech seal. If you don’t want to take it apart a few drops of neatsfoot oil down the transfer port will lubricate the piston a bit.

It does have the extremely awkward sear adjustment where you can only adjust it when the gun is cocked (!?!) but I disconnect the end cap then you can cock it under no spring tension and adjust the trigger sear more easily.

I have been doing this on my scruffy peepsight ‘supertarget’ version for about six months on and off, turning the screw in a millimetre at a time and then testing down the range till it finally got light enough to be very accurate, then secured it with threadlock.
    EXTREME CAUTION if you set it too light it goes off while you’re cocking it and that is absolutely terrifying.
    I milled the sear flat for maximum surface engagement, increased the sear spring preload accordingly and adjusted the sear screw in millimetre by millimetre to be safe.
    If it feels ok as it is I’d leave it alone.

Well done, I doubt you could find another Britannia that’s had as little use.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Thanks much for your insight much appreciated. I too enjoyed those height marks on the back of the rear sight. It’s those little touches that are fun. I well oiled the breech seal and you could see that it was sealing well. A tissue over the breech didn’t move at all. This is a rifle I am going to enjoy just as it is. I’m not the shooter you are and I was having a ball just shooting it in the backyard. I almost always go for perfect examples and have been very lucky but this is an exception but the wear on this one just adds to the look and even to the experience. Try to image that first shooter in 1905 holding it. Bought it from Don Raitzer a member here who probably did me a favor selling it to me. Every rifle I buy from him has already been brought back as good as can be done.

Not sure this was the most attractive rendition of Lady Britannia?
    Last edited by 45flint; 30-04-2023 at 11:28 PM.

More trivia, anyone know what the stamp “HC” stands for on the top of the barrel?

After looking at my Britannia a while I think that the lower half was originally nickel plated though it has degraded with time? Wondering opinions on this and how many are like this? I read and saw pics where this treatment was used? The surface seems very different from the upper barrel and block?

Looks as if it was nickelled. I think the trigger guard unit and breech and barrel receiver are cast. I know the trigger unit is cast as these turn a red purple finish when hot blacked.

I am still looking for the bayonet fitting rod that goes through the piston/spring and holds the internals together. I need one or a drawing!

Can anyone help?

As far as nickeling goes see the article John M wrote where he says there are 3 types of Britannias the 1st type had a nickeled air cylinder, but I guess that’s the German made one? Pic from the Gallery.

Last edited by 45flint; 05-05-2023 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    More trivia, anyone know what the stamp “HC” stands for on the top of the barrel?

OOn the third rifle down in your Gunstar link there appears to be a stamped mar in the same position as your HC. It is not clear but could be "02" or even "OS". Someone with a superior 'puter or pair of eyes may be able to see it clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    OOn the third rifle down in your Gunstar link there appears to be a stamped mar in the same position as your HC. It is not clear but could be "02" or even "OS". Someone with a superior 'puter or pair of eyes may be able to see it clearer.
    If you turn it 180 degrees it looks like 30 to me :-

image.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    If you turn it 180 degrees it looks like 30 to me :-

image.jpeg
    You're right. The flat on the top of the three is clearly visible in your pic. Perhaps HC was FC's younger brother