Thread: The real BSA dilemma: Sporting or Light?

The real BSA dilemma: Sporting or Light?

It’s awesome to have this dilemma, deciding which is your favorite or the best of the two iconic BSA’s. I finally have both of mine working well, the sporting needing, new front sight, spring and piston seal repair, the Light needing a new piston seal. Out to the backyard with both, shooting at my resettable 1.5 inch target at 20 yards. Bit of a different shooting experience, the Light can be more appreciated after shooting the sporting “musket”. I found both equally accurate. The aperture sight on my Sporting is a bit better. Non standard Lyman and a hand ground and filed front sight replacement - just a little finer to hold and see the target. Better trigger on the Light, 1920, not adjustable. If I had to choose it would be the Sporting, by a hair, tomorrow may be different, lol. Something very satisfying about holding the larger rifle? Very much prefer its longer pistol grip stock. I truly wonder if this 1914 era was the best BSA made?

Last edited by 45flint; 01-06-2023 at 06:56 PM.

Both fabulous examples. Not much to choose between them but IMO the older one has the edge.

Strange the piled arms stamp in the stock is missing?

Edit: oops, silly me. Of course these later models didn't have the roll-stamp.
    Last edited by Garvin; 02-06-2023 at 12:58 PM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Hmmmmm Which is best - Sporting or Light Pattern ???

Of course if you really want the "Best" , you will have to look out for an early 1920's Club Standard No.1, in the long 45" overall length. That for me is the ultimate BSA for shooting. It has the finesse of the .177 Light, with the faster, flatter trajectory and power of the Sporting Pattern.
    It also has an internal adjustable trigger mechanism.

By the time they got to the Club Standard No.4 of the 1930's , they had reduced the length a bit, and tweaked down the power a bit. Still nice guns, by the CS No.1 is the best.

Nice pair of guns you have there Steve, you certainly seem to find wonderful guns in your neck of the woods. That is for sure.

Lakey

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I suppose it depends on what you want to do with it?
    Target and bell target work seems to favour the light pattern and the BSA's production of the shorter club standard models would seem to support that assumption?

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Hmmmmm Which is best - Sporting or Light Pattern ???

Of course if you really want the "Best" , you will have to look out for an early 1920's Club Standard No.1, in the long 45" overall length. That for me is the ultimate BSA for shooting. It has the finesse of the .177 Light, with the faster, flatter trajectory and power of the Sporting Pattern.
    It also has an internal adjustable trigger mechanism.

By the time they got to the Club Standard No.4 of the 1930's , they had reduced the length a bit, and tweaked down the power a bit. Still nice guns, by the CS No.1 is the best.

Nice pair of guns you have there Steve, you certainly seem to find wonderful guns in your neck of the woods. That is for sure.

Lakey
    Not sure I have ever seen a Club for sale over here?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Not sure I have ever seen a Club for sale over here?
    Lakey is right of course; you have a new quest Steve!

Finding a pristine long cylindered Club Standard. I don't think you will be disappointed with the performance when you find one.

The CS was my go to BSA for competitions when I actively participated in the club's bell target league as well as outdoor vintage HFT.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Lakey is right of course; you have a new quest Steve!

Finding a pristine long cylindered Club Standard. I don't think you will be disappointed with the performance when you find one.

The CS was my go to BSA for competitions when I actively participated in the club's bell target league as well as outdoor vintage HFT.

John
    But I really think the style points of the long grip, side button arm, and forged trigger guard on the 1914 trump all accuracy!!!! And in American we like pumping out more manly 22 pellets! We aren’t just ringing a bell here. Lol. All you have to do is compare the 2 stocks below - no contest. I don’t own a BSA with a sheet metal trigger guard.

Last edited by 45flint; 03-06-2023 at 11:34 AM.

Lol!!!
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Treat them both the same, don't have a favorite out of them.