Thread: .223 reloading

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

.223 reloading

Can anyone tell me an approx cost for all the bits and equipment needed / necessary to reload and is the saving money wise, worth the outlay and all the time and effort.

thanks in advance,..
    V-MACH, HW 95 / Venom AA Pro-Elite / V-MACH TX200 HC / SFS HW 99 SNIPE & IMP / URAGAN 2 / FX Impact / HW100 FSB / Daystate Wolverine R / FAC FX / Sako Finnfire / CZ Varmint / CZ American / CZ 512 / Ruger 10/22 / Browning Buckmark / Taurus LBR / Tikka T3X SV .223.

Tuff question to answer but I will give it a go!
    1. What are your aims (scuse pun!) 1000yd target or vermin?
    2. How many rounds a year?
    3. Do you belong to club and if you do anyone giving up reloading?
    4. On that note dont discount good second hand items.
    5. You will need - a press - dies set and shellholder - a beam scale - a caliper - a powder thrower - primers - powder - bullets. Then case trimming and other odd widgets.
    6.If you buy new look at RCBS/Lyman/Hornady and dont discount Lee (apart from the awful safety scale) Lee make some good things. And they all make a starter pack - just add dies.
    7. New starter pack from about £400 and up. Dies from £45 and up. Primers - if you can find them from £120 a k. Bullets from £300 a k (Lapua) Powder from £300 for 3.6kg (Viht)
    8. Totting that up to make 1000 rounds you will be looking at an outlay minimum £1000.

It seems a lot of effort, time and £££ outlay for not a lot of return.
    Time is the biggy for me.
    V-MACH, HW 95 / Venom AA Pro-Elite / V-MACH TX200 HC / SFS HW 99 SNIPE & IMP / URAGAN 2 / FX Impact / HW100 FSB / Daystate Wolverine R / FAC FX / Sako Finnfire / CZ Varmint / CZ American / CZ 512 / Ruger 10/22 / Browning Buckmark / Taurus LBR / Tikka T3X SV .223.

You're welcome. For me it is worth it. My equipment was paid for in ammo savings many years ago.
    I will refer you back to my first two points.

I inherited a whole load of powder, primers bullet heads (223,308,270,30) and a box full of the rcbs and lyman presses, scales et all so I’m set up for the rest of my life. I even had a few rifles and 8 shotguns, 5 berettas and 3 paratzi. My friend’s late husband only bought the best. Luckily the bank wrote off his debts!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Reloading

That's a pretty good breakdown of costs, you might do it a bit cheaper buying used equipment. I think the real benefit comes if you either want a specific load or shoot a large volume of rounds. I reload a few different calibres but mainly pistol calibre. I think it would be hard to justify for a few hundred .223 a year unless of course you enjoy it.