Thread: .223 reloading

.223 reloading

Can anyone tell me an approx cost for all the bits and equipment needed / necessary to reload and is the saving money wise, worth the outlay and all the time and effort.

thanks in advance,..
    V-MACH, HW 95 / Venom AA Pro-Elite / V-MACH TX200 HC / SFS HW 99 SNIPE & IMP / URAGAN 2 / FX Impact / HW100 FSB / Daystate Wolverine R / FAC FX / Sako Finnfire / CZ Varmint / CZ American / CZ 512 / Ruger 10/22 / Browning Buckmark / Taurus LBR / Tikka T3X SV .223.

Tuff question to answer but I will give it a go!
    1. What are your aims (scuse pun!) 1000yd target or vermin?
    2. How many rounds a year?
    3. Do you belong to club and if you do anyone giving up reloading?
    4. On that note dont discount good second hand items.
    5. You will need - a press - dies set and shellholder - a beam scale - a caliper - a powder thrower - primers - powder - bullets. Then case trimming and other odd widgets.
    6.If you buy new look at RCBS/Lyman/Hornady and dont discount Lee (apart from the awful safety scale) Lee make some good things. And they all make a starter pack - just add dies.
    7. New starter pack from about £400 and up. Dies from £45 and up. Primers - if you can find them from £120 a k. Bullets from £300 a k (Lapua) Powder from £300 for 3.6kg (Viht)
    8. Totting that up to make 1000 rounds you will be looking at an outlay minimum £1000.

It seems a lot of effort, time and £££ outlay for not a lot of return.
    Time is the biggy for me.
    V-MACH, HW 95 / Venom AA Pro-Elite / V-MACH TX200 HC / SFS HW 99 SNIPE & IMP / URAGAN 2 / FX Impact / HW100 FSB / Daystate Wolverine R / FAC FX / Sako Finnfire / CZ Varmint / CZ American / CZ 512 / Ruger 10/22 / Browning Buckmark / Taurus LBR / Tikka T3X SV .223.

You're welcome. For me it is worth it. My equipment was paid for in ammo savings many years ago.
    I will refer you back to my first two points.

I inherited a whole load of powder, primers bullet heads (223,308,270,30) and a box full of the rcbs and lyman presses, scales et all so I’m set up for the rest of my life. I even had a few rifles and 8 shotguns, 5 berettas and 3 paratzi. My friend’s late husband only bought the best. Luckily the bank wrote off his debts!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

Reloading

That's a pretty good breakdown of costs, you might do it a bit cheaper buying used equipment. I think the real benefit comes if you either want a specific load or shoot a large volume of rounds. I reload a few different calibres but mainly pistol calibre. I think it would be hard to justify for a few hundred .223 a year unless of course you enjoy it.

Lee kit here https://www.thecountryman.com/lee-an...-reloading-kit you might get one cheaper if you shop around --a set of lee dies from kranks around £30-But i will say change the lee scale for a Lyman or similar around £50-£65 ---then you are more or less set up just add what bullet heads you use and primers =powder Ramshot Tac works good in the .223 ---some dont like lee reloading kit but if your not bench rest shooting there is nothing wrong with it ---i started out with lee kit --and i also have and use RCBS rockchucker kit but to be honest the rounds i load do the same job in both kits just the RCBS dose make life easier when neck sizing only with it being a stronger press

its well worth while

the initial out lay for equipment can be costly but you start saving as soon as you get into it,
    20 x 223 factory rounds cost 25-35quid
    thats approx 1.25-160 ish a round,
    heads 35p
    powder 10p
    primer 10p,
    less than 60p a round to load your own after you've bought all the tackle, must be worth it

regards
    Dave

Reloading is a hobby in itself, I've always enjoyed it....you'll need a case tumbler as well.

If only using for fox/pest control and going down the reloading route then get yourself a lee classic reloading kit circa £40 and start hand loading, you don't need any fancy kit or need to be laying out loads of cash on expensive gear, can all be cleaned by hand (if necessary).

Recently went down this route and now set up for many years to come with an accurate load sorted and the rifle is now being used for foxing with half a dozen already accounted for last month and which at tops will be reloading 100 rounds a year which will be cheaper and more accurate than factory ammunition which will only increase in cost over time.

Speer 55gn soft point from Livens at around £150/1000 will help keep you ahead of the lead ban, got mine set up shooting sub 1/2" @ 100m

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrono View Post
    Reloading is a hobby in itself, I've always enjoyed it....you'll need a case tumbler as well.
    Yeah, may happy evenings spent turning out rounds
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

Also it's the convenience, not something everyone thinks about.

You can potentially hold enough components to make many thousands of rounds.
    Your ammo hold limit only counts completed, ready to fire rounds.

If, like me, the nearest gun shop isn't round the corner, then if I want to have a some rounds ready for a range trip then I can make them. Without having to phone around to check stock, take time off work to drive to the shop etc.
    Also you can fine tune the bullet/powder combo for maximum accuracy from your rifle cheaper and easier than trying random brands of ammo. Once you find a good, accurate combo it will likely outperform a factory round and will be easy to reproduce.

As has been said, a cheap used single stage Lee press won't cost much, add a set of dies and a digital or analogue scale and you're off. Doesn't have to be expensive.

Cheers - Paul.
    NSRA and NRA qualified RCO.

All second hand,
    Rcbs scales £60
    Lee press £45
    Dies £30
    Cutters for sizing £20
    Primer pocket reamer and brush £15
    Lee hand priming tool £25
    Tricker £15
    Powder scoops £15
    Case lube and mat £15
    Brushes for case prep £10
    Micrometer - £10
    Ballistic hammer £25

That is all budget gear but will be over 90% as accurate as high end stuff and at least equivalent to factory. The savings on your first few hundred rounds will cover the equipment costs, after that it’s just consumables, if you loading 22 hornet, 223 etc you will enjoy your hand made tuned rounds and the considerable cost savings.
    Last edited by silva; 17-06-2023 at 09:29 AM.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

I currently reloading. 223 for 36p , primers and powder just gone up again though so will cost more next time .

I use speer bullets large Hollow point or soft points , £150 per 1000

all you need is ; bullets , cases , powder ,primers and this

https://www./itm/273217129091?epid=1...3ABFBM_uXm9Jli

i was start like this .