Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Custom Stock Oil

Custom Stock Oil

I have just acquired a CS600 stock, what would be the best oil to protect it and maintain?

Many thanks.

Danish oil, It will look stuinning once the coats start to build.
    V-MACH, HW 95 / Venom AA Pro-Elite / V-MACH TX200 HC / SFS HW 99 SNIPE & IMP / URAGAN 2 / FX Impact / HW100 FSB / Daystate Wolverine R / FAC FX / Sako Finnfire / CZ Varmint / CZ American / CZ 512 / Ruger 10/22 / Browning Buckmark / Taurus LBR / Tikka T3X SV .223.

I've used "Ccl" or "trade secrets" oils with good results

If you want Danish Oil - try your local Screwfix.

Get the smallest size, as it goes a long way or if you want to treat your wooden garden furniture then grab a larger tin.

I vaguely remember from years ago that custom stock trueoiled their stocks. I rubbed walnut oil onto my CS stock and made a sticky mess as it didn't soak in.I might be wrong about this, but someone more knowledgeable might be able to confirm either way.

I used Walnut oil on a stock earlier this year and put coats on too quickly while the house was cool. It has tuned out ok now, as temperatures have warmed up.
    You probably need a really warm room to get best results. A job for summer perhaps.
    The more I think I know, the more I realise the less I know.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by cozzamec View Post
    I've used "Ccl" or "trade secrets" oils with good results
    Get yourself a CCL stock finishing kit, I used to use boiled linseed oil on my stocks but it takes ages for it to properly soak in, I only use the CCL kit now, much quicker and the stock will be as smooth as a baby's bum afterwards.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Walnut oil does not contain drying agents. Just like linseed oil it needs a week to dry between coats.
    Oil blended for finishing wood contain drying agents that allow a coat every 24 hours.

When applying any oil, rub well into the wood then wipe off as much as possible.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

I use Philips English Walnut Oil
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Oil stock

I used Birchwood Casey True Oil, 32 coats allow 24 Hours between coats, looked amazing.
    Store in a dust free room (warm) every day then leave for 3 Days to dry and harden fully.

Try to rush it with thick coats and you get a sticky mess.
    Loads of very very thin coats, each allowed to dry completely, is what works. May well take two weeks with one coat a night, but then the result can last years. Apply more as often as you want, just keep it super thin.

multiple very thin coats is the way forward,trouble is you need lots of patience,something i have guilty of not applying enough of.you get the feeling that the job will never get done.danish oil is nice and quick as has been mentioned.boiled linseed with terebine driers applied thinly works very well.whatever i use,i apply by hand or wipe on with a cloth,no brushes.the terebine drier additive is used by painter/decorators to speed up paint drying in cold conditions.

I bought a CS stock a few weeks ago and tried oiling it.I used a light coat and again it turned into a sticky mess.l cleaned it up and just waxed it instead.

Thanks for all the suggestions, seems there are many ways to treat a stock!!

Might try a wax finish to start with, as I don't have a suitable area for oiling and drying etc.

Always had good results with CCL conditioning oil. Although I wouldn’t use there walnut stain again.