Thread: Custom Stock Oil

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I use Philips English Walnut Oil
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Oil stock

I used Birchwood Casey True Oil, 32 coats allow 24 Hours between coats, looked amazing.
    Store in a dust free room (warm) every day then leave for 3 Days to dry and harden fully.

Try to rush it with thick coats and you get a sticky mess.
    Loads of very very thin coats, each allowed to dry completely, is what works. May well take two weeks with one coat a night, but then the result can last years. Apply more as often as you want, just keep it super thin.

multiple very thin coats is the way forward,trouble is you need lots of patience,something i have guilty of not applying enough of.you get the feeling that the job will never get done.danish oil is nice and quick as has been mentioned.boiled linseed with terebine driers applied thinly works very well.whatever i use,i apply by hand or wipe on with a cloth,no brushes.the terebine drier additive is used by painter/decorators to speed up paint drying in cold conditions.

I bought a CS stock a few weeks ago and tried oiling it.I used a light coat and again it turned into a sticky mess.l cleaned it up and just waxed it instead.

Thanks for all the suggestions, seems there are many ways to treat a stock!!

Might try a wax finish to start with, as I don't have a suitable area for oiling and drying etc.

Always had good results with CCL conditioning oil. Although I wouldn’t use there walnut stain again.

Boiled linseed for me, I've even used it on guitar bodies after stripping the finish a durable easy applied and smells great.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid7Nick View Post
    Always had good results with CCL conditioning oil. Although I wouldn’t use there walnut stain again.
    Never use walnut stain. Even if the stock is primed and 100% ready, results can differ massively

Another vote for ccl

Does a good job.

Heres how I do mine mate

https://youtu.be/UoK6e8zrd2w

Certainly many different ways to treat a stock.

From Custom Stocks it appears it comes with one coat of Tru-Oil followed by several coats of Danish Oil, so this will probably be the route I take.

Thanks for all your suggestions. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions, seems there are many ways to treat a stock!!

Might try a wax finish to start with, as I don't have a suitable area for oiling and drying etc.
    Don't use a wax, it's the cheap and cheerful way of tarting up a stock and it'll soon wear off.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation