Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: webley oil can

webley oil can

Anyone on here buy it?

Wow,

Either someone really wanted that can or it was not a genuine bid.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Wow,

Either someone really wanted that can or it was not a genuine bid.

John
    Yea was a genuine bid that's the kind of price they seem take these days,I've seen them go for even more than that to be fair

I particularly like the reference in the description stating Circa 1920s. I too have seen these 60s cans change hands for around £200 over the years with pre-war examples fetching nearer £300, especially when sold at internet auction.
    Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 06-06-2023 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Evostu View Post
    Yea was a genuine bid that's the kind of price they seem take these days,I've seen them go for even more than that to be fair
    Really? I'd have said nearer to the £150 mark for a post war reversible spout can.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Really? I'd have said nearer to the £150 mark for a post war reversible spout can.

John
    I agree, but there's no accounting for what some are willing to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    I agree, but there's no accounting for what some are willing to pay.
    Its an Auction
    So at least two people would be willing to pay that price.

Sam

They’re nice things and an essential accessory for inclusion in any cased Webley pistol set. Finding one in good condition is also getting harder these days and rarity will always have an affect on prices.
    A friend of mine who was part of the Arms & Militaria team for a major auction house once told me that although his office clutter included many rare and expensive items, the one that always gave rise to the most interest was a 1960s Webley oil can.

Brian

They do finish off a set up

About ten or twelve years ago when I was collecting Webley mk 3's, a guy contacted me in response to one of my 'wanted' ads in Airgun World. He was the executor for his late uncle's estate and in the loft of his uncle's house they had found this wooden case - homemade but well constructed - containing two early, ribbed stock, mk 3's, one of which was fitted with a PH 16M aperture sight with 6-hole eyepiece. Also in the box were TWO reversible spout oil cans and one much later orange plastic oil bottle; so three oil bottles in all!

The box also contained an orange Webley tin of pellets and a small bundle of Webley paperwork/correspondence concerning the supply and fitting of the aperture sight to one of the rifles (provenance?)
    plus instruction manuals, general correspondence and the original fitting invoice etc.

The guy selling me this was not a collector so originally had little idea of its value, especially the oil cans, although initially he had taken them into a local (Suffolk) gun shop when he had been offered £100 for the lot..."not much call for these old guns mate...". I ended up paying him £450 for the lot since I could see the value in the cans, pellet tin and Webley paperwork apart from the two rifles which were both in immaculate and little-used condition having been stored for decades.

I suspect also the orange oil bottle, although relatively much more recent, must now have some value; I already had one before this purchase.

Aubrey

Here out of interest is a picture of my Webley oil can collection in order of appearance starting with the pre-war can and ending with the final 1960s reversable spout variant. There was an earlier pre-war can and a glass bottle both of which are so rare that finding one would be almost impossible. My interest in all things Webley ended after anything later than the 1960s so, the plastic bottle oil dispensers won't be joining the collection.
    The pre-war can was by far the hardest to find and eventually bought from a fellow collector for around £250 many years ago. The first post-war can was acquired as a sweetener to the sale of a Certus air pistol, so I can't really quote the actual cost. I remember paying £150 for the second series can, but admittedly this was from a dealer. The final and rarest of the 1960s cans came from a generous bbs forum member who only wanted £100 and also included some paperwork and pellets.
    I can see why most collectors would probably prefer to spend their hard earned money on air guns rather than accessories but, when your interest extends to things which require less space to store or adding period accessories etc to cased air gun sets it becomes a bit easier to justify.

Brian

Great photo Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Great photo Brian
    Hi Pete,
    Pity I don’t have the back garden background that graced so many of your own excellent pictures.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi Pete,
    Pity I don’t have the back garden background that graced so many of your own excellent pictures.

Brian

I see what you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Here out of interest is a picture of my Webley oil can collection in order of appearance starting with the pre-war can and ending with the final 1960s reversable spout variant. There was an earlier pre-war can and a glass bottle both of which are so rare that finding one would be almost impossible. My interest in all things Webley ended after anything later than the 1960s so, the plastic bottle oil dispensers won't be joining the collection.
    The pre-war can was by far the hardest to find and eventually bought from a fellow collector for around £250 many years ago. The first post-war can was acquired as a sweetener to the sale of a Certus air pistol, so I can't really quote the actual cost. I remember paying £150 for the second series can, but admittedly this was from a dealer. The final and rarest of the 1960s cans came from a generous bbs forum member who only wanted £100 and also included some paperwork and pellets.
    I can see why most collectors would probably prefer to spend their hard earned money on air guns rather than accessories but, when your interest extends to things which require less space to store or adding period accessories etc to cased air gun sets it becomes a bit easier to justify.

Brian
    Tim dyson had a boxed webley senior for sale with a full glass webley oil bottle with it a couple of months ago