Page 58 of 102 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Thread: Autumn Bash 16th and 17th September 2023

Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    Totally understandable that you’re not looking forward to it Tone but it will be worth it. I’ve known a couple of people over the years who have had the op and it has positively transformed their vision.
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
    Both my parents have had it done
    No regrets there
    We will have you shooting the bucket on opens soon!!
    Thank you, chaps.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    How’s the shingles Pete ?
    Really weird Paul.
    OK during the day but get really painful in the early hours
    I hate having interrupted sleep
    Sorry to hear that, Pete. Hopefully you'll be rid of this completely and back to normal soon.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernal View Post
    You really don't have to worry about it Tony. I am a total wimp, but have had both mine done with no discomfort. Once the anaesthetic is in your only worry is hearing the team talk about it, you certainly don't feel bad at any stage
    Thank you, Michael.

My main concerns didn't centre around it being painful as (especially, like yourself, having also had the eye injections) I think there's nothing to fear there, but more around how the hell do you keep perfectly still when they're doing it and what about if you're the one in that tiny percentage of people where it doesn't go to plan? I expect the eye is numbed and taped open and there'll be people there reassuring you and making sure you don't move / freak out. Of people I know where it went wrong, my father in law had it done and vision is now awful. But, to be fair, I also think there were other things at play with his and removing the cataract wasn't the only issue.

Dreading the procedure but looking forward to better vision all round. Especially for driving. And if I end up only needing a small prescription in my glasses to correct the astigmatism, that would be absolutely brilliant. I'm sure if I just keep those positive thoughts of better post-op vision uppermost it'll be easier to cope with.

Thank you.

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    So, how does cataract surgery work with eyes Tone ? Do you have to get referred by the GP and go on a NHS waiting list or, is it a case of having to pay for it yourself ?
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

I was referred to a set-up by the name of Newmedica years ago, Pauly, when my optician at the time suspected Glaucoma. Newmedica are somehow linked to the NHS. I go for the Glaucoma update visits two or three times a year. It is they who said the cataract needed doing and they do it in-house.

When I saw the optometrist on Monday she explained that if a patent wasn't already with someone like Newmedica, she would then refer on to the nearest hospital that performs cataract surgery.

I believe there are also private outfits that you can also contact directly. I suppose it would usually be following an optician visit that you'd be going down this avenue, the optician having pointed it out.

I'm guessing it might be a slightly weird few months as, once the left eye is done they'll remove the lens from my glasses. Vision should be much improved. But, for any correction required, you have to wait for a few weeks for the eye to settle. Then, due to the imbalance mentioned previously, it'll be the same story with the right eye. And I have to work and really can't afford any longer periods of time off as we don't get sick pay or anything. The wife hasn't been able to work for years following illnesses with the kids, so me bringing home the bacon is crucial. Especially nice in these hard times. Hopefully it'll all get sorted swiftly and smoothly.

Smile Boing!

Quote Originally Posted by Willenium View Post
    And about time the colourful, springy one made an appearance.

BOING!

Have those horrible, nasty shingles finally sodded off for good, Pete?

You going down the club?

Any other of you lovely Boingerati partaking in springy fun over the weekend?

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Not yet Tony but they're on their way
    I am hoping to get there tomorrow for a few hours

Pete
    Pete

Tony, when I had my cataract done, the biggest faff was all the pre-procedure checks, which were conducted before the day of the op'. You had vision testing and a prescription lense was to be inserted in as a replacement. If I'd gone private, they'd have even fitted a vari-focal lense. As it is now, the repaired eye has a reading lense in and the other is just normal, which makes my glasses prescriptions interesting. On the day of the op, from memory, no injections, it's all done via drops, which blurr vision and locally anaesthetise. The whole procedure in chair was 10 minutes. Patch on for a few days and eye drops post op' and that was it. Believe it or not, the surgeon was doing 2 doz op's a day (piece work maybe?)

Pete, I know you have a liking for all things tank, and had hoped to share this with you at the last bash (but I didn't attend!). I was on some rabbiting permission with a friend and next door two guys were in the process of firing up a WW2 'Panzer Jaeger'. Apparently one of only 4 running in the country. Sorry, no photos, he was a bit touchy about that. But apparently (and you'd know this more than I) at 'Tank-Fests' the rarer stuff will be transported to the venue at the organisers expense.

Pete
    Great to hear they're getting better, Pete. Never had them but I certainly get the impression that they take some time to properly clear. Hope they're completely buggered off in quick time for you.

Have a great session at the club, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    Tony, when I had my cataract done, the biggest faff was all the pre-procedure checks, which were conducted before the day of the op'. You had vision testing and a prescription lense was to be inserted in as a replacement. If I'd gone private, they'd have even fitted a vari-focal lense. As it is now, the repaired eye has a reading lense in and the other is just normal, which makes my glasses prescriptions interesting. On the day of the op, from memory, no injections, it's all done via drops, which blurr vision and locally anaesthetise. The whole procedure in chair was 10 minutes. Patch on for a few days and eye drops post op' and that was it. Believe it or not, the surgeon was doing 2 doz op's a day (piece work maybe?)

Thank you for those reassuring words, Mark. In a similar fashion, when I have the eye injections done, it's the "pre-procedure" stuff that takes all the time. Guessing / hoping I'll be able to drive the next day. If not, soon after, as I need to get to work. Not looking forward to it - guessing thinking about it is the worst bit, but I am looking forward to that improved vision. Pre-op assessment is Tuesday.

Pete
    Did you get there, Pete?

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Thank you for those reassuring words, Mark. In a similar fashion, when I have the eye injections done, it's the "pre-procedure" stuff that takes all the time. Guessing / hoping I'll be able to drive the next day. If not, soon after, as I need to get to work. Not looking forward to it - guessing thinking about it is the worst bit, but I am looking forward to that improved vision. Pre-op assessment is Tuesday.
    I found the worst bit was waiting for my turn, pre op Tony, once I was called and the "ball began to roll" things went fine and I sort of laid back (obviously) and went with the flow !
    “An airgun or two”………

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Yes Tony
    Took the Sirocco 2000 and the RAW HM1000
    Good conditions although cold and a little unpredictable wind
    Sill the guns worked well and a few chalk men bit the dust (literally)
    Pete

Marvellous! Sounds like much fun was had, Pete; nice one.