Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One you don’t see everyday - a SKB 53 rifle

One you don’t see everyday - a SKB 53 rifle

The Gallery has some examples and a catalog but this seems to be one you don’t come across often? Seems well made and came with their own aperture sight. Only one I have ever seen in 22. My first Japanese rifle.

Last edited by 45flint; 19-09-2023 at 11:46 AM.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi Steve, l have never seen one either, l think l like it a bit better than the Webley Mk3 with the sleek stock. nice find again.

Lovely condition and pretty rare over here. Another one for the shopping list…

That is a new one on me and a very nice rifle with slender sporting lines.

It looks like a cross between a Webley Mk3 and a BSA Airsporter. I wouldn't say no if one came my way.

You'll have to let us know how she performs as I'd be itching to get behind that neat little aperture sight!

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

What a beauty, congratulations Steve with your SKB. Complete with the front sight hood and in great condition.
    My friend Shimizu in Tokyo sent me scans of an SKB brochure a while ago; let me know if you would like me to find them.

nice one Steve,it has the look of a big solid bsa merlin to me.it will be interesting to see how it shoots.

This rifle has proved more interesting than I thought it would be. Wonderful feel with the stock when aiming with that aperture. Cleaned up well, put some oil down the tap. Seems to have good compression. Will take her out tomorrow and see how she shoots.
    Last edited by 45flint; 19-09-2023 at 11:47 AM.

Fabulous find, Steve. Real '50s quality.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Fabulous find, Steve. Real '50s quality.
    Got to love the little extra of a layered end cap? Simple but very classy

Took it out today and shot a little. Aperture was dead on from the start no adjustment. Trigger is 1950’s lol. The stock grip was awesome. The grip is shaped for a right handed shooter, don’t see this on the Webley Mark 3 or the Diana 50. Very nice touch. This rifle really is taking more from the Diana than the Webley in construction. Was shooting 450 FPS with a 14.5 grain SuperDome. Similar power to the Diana 50, not power houses. Stock finish on butt is crazed like an old guitar, must be lacquer? This rifle is certainly on par with the best rifles of its era which surprises me a bit. Thought it would have a harder time matching up.

Last edited by 45flint; 19-09-2023 at 05:55 PM.

Skb

I've seen an SKB break barrel ar rifle and on the breech it says made in occupied Japan , that was quite interesting.

Rgds kev

Looks like a well-made piece of kit. Such a shame that Japan seems to have almost completely stopped making guns for the civilian market.

Said it years back when Steve first joined the BBS - He must live in a airgun hot spot That's a lovely rifle and looks extremely well made. I'm guessing they were for export ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Said it years back when Steve first joined the BBS - He must live in a airgun hot spot
    The whole US is an airgun hotspot Mark! Not least due to the sell-offs of deceased collectors like Myron Kasok, Ingvar Alm and Robert Beeman, all super-rich Americans who were mad keen airgun collectors. Between them, they accumulated many thousands of choice airguns from around the world.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    The whole US is an airgun hotspot Mark! Not least due to the sell-offs of deceased collectors like Myron Kasok, Ingvar Alm and Robert Beeman, all super-rich Americans who were mad keen airgun collectors. Between them, they accumulated many thousands of choice airguns from around the world.
    All true and also in the US there at times very little interest in vintage spring airguns. The are some major exemptions but on the whole on a rifle like this I have little competition. To me this was a must buy given it fits my collecting interest. One of the real joys of this hobby for me is taking a gun like this and bringing it back by many small things. Today was cleaning up the aperture which had a not too great appearance? This drives me crazy till I fix it the best I can.

Before:

After:
    Last edited by 45flint; 21-09-2023 at 11:26 PM.