Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coloured webley nemesis

Coloured webley nemesis

Was browsing the usual sites and spotted this,o know they did a few coloured variants but never seen one,anyone else have a coloured version?

look a nice pistol

Sold to me Friday. :-)

Made for markets such as the Pony Club in very small numbers as they were thought to look 'less gun like and offensive'.

I remember seeing them in a gun shop and thinking how unappealing the colours looked.

Rare today though.
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Made for markets such as the Pony Club in very small numbers as they were thought to look 'less gun like and offensive'.

I remember seeing them in a gun shop and thinking how unappealing the colours looked.

Rare today though.

Any idea where that info re the Pony Club comes from John - the bit about being 'offensive'?

Actually a full set of all 6 colours - Black, Silver, (2 shades) Red, Orange, Green and Mustard Yellow, looks very striking and very attractive indeed. Plus there was a 'Special Edition' in Silver, and a tiny run were finished in Gold.
    I wish I'd had the foresight to buy a full set when they were new!

Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post
    Any idea where that info re the Pony Club comes from John - the bit about being 'offensive'?

Actually a full set of all 6 colours - Black, Silver, (2 shades) Red, Orange, Green and Mustard Yellow, looks very striking and very attractive indeed. Plus there was a 'Special Edition' in Silver, and a tiny run were finished in Gold.
    I wish I'd had the foresight to buy a full set when they were new!
    Hi Chris,

The source was Troubledshooter's Webley contact.

Troubledshooter may be able to add more info if he sees this thread.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22

The idea for the coloured SSP Nemesis came from a director of the company at the time, whose Daughter had suggested it due to problems from some objecting to 'Firearms' like pistols being used in Pony Club Gymkhanas, in which she was taking part.
    The coloured versions were introduced in 1996, bur were only produced in relatively small numbers, with production of these variants ceasing in 2000.

Thumbs up

I had the ordinary common black version some years ago, Can't recall what I did with it but my mate has/had a silver boxed one, It was a beauty too!

It even came with the original receipt!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    The idea for the coloured SSP Nemesis came from a director of the company at the time, whose Daughter had suggested it due to problems from some objecting to 'Firearms' like pistols being used in Pony Club Gymkhanas, in which she was taking part.
    The coloured versions were introduced in 1996, bur were only produced in relatively small numbers, with production of these variants ceasing in 2000.

Thanks - nice little anecdote.

This is another version of the silver Nemesis that was produced in limited numbers for one of the shows, i can't remember which. The standard chrome silver version was the same without 'Special Edition' added.

15 or so years ago I handled a green Nemesis which was a club-owned gun at my local range. At the time I assumed someone had bizarrely gone to the trouble of stripping it and doing a very professional looking paint job. A few years later I discovered it was one of the special edition factory models, which made much more sense. I’d always known of the orange ones but to this day have never seen another green one.

Cheers
    Greg

nishijin is offline They dare not speak his name in hushed tones
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    15 or so years ago I handled a green Nemesis which was a club-owned gun at my local range. At the time I assumed someone had bizarrely gone to the trouble of stripping it and doing a very professional looking paint job. A few years later I discovered it was one of the special edition factory models, which made much more sense. I’d always known of the orange ones but to this day have never seen another green one.

Cheers
    Greg
    I bet there are a number in clubs across the country, languishing for the very same reason.

Must admit I hated the colours Webley chose when I saw them for sale in a gun shop during the 90s and my opinion has not mellowed with time passing.

BSA offered far nicer coloured variations of the 240 Magnum. Blue/black 240s along with red/black spring to mind, which looked a lot more 'adult'. They also did a gold 240, which I owned for a little while.

John

Here in the firearm-crazed US, many airsoft or otherwise realistic-looking toy guns are made in colours. It helps the (understandably nervous) police tell them apart from the very common real things, and has no doubt saved the skins of some foolish youngsters.

nishijin is offline They dare not speak his name in hushed tones
    Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    Here in the firearm-crazed US, many airsoft or otherwise realistic-looking toy guns are made in colours. It helps the (understandably nervous) police tell them apart from the very common real things, and has no doubt saved the skins of some foolish youngsters.
    In the UK lots of 90's toys had to be distinguishable. The easiest way was to have a bright orange end muzzle, if nothing else. This was of course the first thing a child would try to break off or paint, because it looked too much like a toy and not enough like the real thing.

There were occasional stories in the UK, post-Dunblane, about kids being stopped with toys and imitations.