Thread: Reximex Meta Premium

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Reximex Meta Premium

As our laws differ, don´t even know if you get this one in the UK? Still, might be of interest to get a grasp on it no?

Yep. 90cc plenum and a 700mm barrel. In this case in 25cal. Yep. That sturdy flight case there is part of the package.

Uhu. Of course regulated, while Rex for some reason kept with adjustment of it being part of a teardown. Yep. Adjusts from within per the old days.

Cool enough. Any drawbacks then?
    IMO yes. For starters, being a "chassis gun" this one is a rather heavy girl. Kit installed (scope, bi-pod aso) she´s an easy 5kg which i at least kind of frown upon this day n age. That she´s a long girl in turn comes with the territory i´d say, but.. keep that thought for now.
    However.
    The one REAL mishap designing this one is the lack of adjustment for the trigger. It´s to the point that it´s one of the issues i´m going to solve on the heavy machinery of mine cause enough of that already.
    Truth be told tho.. trigger is semi decent as is.

Imperative part though, will it shoot? I´d say yes. This is using JSB´s 33.95 pellets around 900 @ 30 meters. Flyer is no doubt on me, and mind you this is NOT me sitting down to go "full retard" mode as far as accuracy. More so just sitting down, putting the rifle on a rest (no bi-pod IOW) and not using the stock mono pod out rear ... firing away.
    IOW that there is sure to be improved upon. No doubt.

Barrel sports a choke right and chokes normally spells death to slugs.

Well. This is the payload using H&N´s 34 hollow point slugs, same distance. In short the folks at Rex got something right, let´s agree on that. Have since used it firing the slugs at elevated speeds and greater distance (46m) why it only turned even more accurate.
    So yeah. Yes Sir even.

One thing common to all Rex guns is that their valves flow well. As in really well. Notice the little "screw" that the poppet protrudes through. Yep. There´s an o-ring in there, and the crush on said o-ring is thus adjustable and thereby the seal.
    A solution i´ve implemented myself that works rather well.

To be clear the thing to the letter oozes of quality. It really does. It´s all aluminium apart from the grip n the cheek piece, and fit n finish is bar none. FX level and then some. Put together in a manner that if you´re in the loop as far as PCP´s the Meta will hand you no news of any kind.

This however... no no no no. Just NO! So.. i´ll be tearing into that and handle the situation no doubt. Then keep in mind that ALL other Rex guns to my knowledge are adjustable. No, not a match quality anything, but a GOOD weighed trigger group that does the job WELL.

Yeah. So, length. I turned me a new diffusor for the shroud out of steel and indexed that on the stock barrel.
    Why?
    Well. She´s a tall girl right, and as it turns out...

...that thing there is bolted to the barrel. Well. A diffusor is there to direct spent air down into the shroud right. Then it doesn´t help to have the through hole on the front at a diameter WAY larger than the pills used, i´ll tell ya that much! That thing is in turn 120mm long, for whatever reason, and that builds on the already tall 700mm barrel - and sorry to say to no avail really.

Yes. That diffusor of mine first up turned the shroud way more active (and the shroud has also been setup to use filler) but second of all due that came to make the rifle even more quiet too. Exhaust note in turn turned darker, why.. all wins in my book.

So this took like 100mm out of the length of the gun where it counts the most, out front. So yes. Very happy with the outcome of that

So far, we just got freezing temps over here in viking land, she´s just got to one rat. Not for the lack of trying though, seems the rats don´t wanna leave their burrows for a few days here..
    We´ll get to them though.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Sounds and looks like a budget FX.. how much £££ / $$$ / SKr ??
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Sounds like a very expensive rimfire.. how much £££ / $$$ / SKr ??
    Last edited by tinbum; 20-11-2023 at 08:01 PM.
    Better to admit you walked through the wrong door than spend your life in the wrong room

Using an online converter it comes to approx 780£

On it being an "almost FX".
    I´ll be blunt, no. No it´s not. As a design excercise sure there´s a few points that are true for both, but.. nah. When you start undressing this thing, as a design, it´s vastly different vs say an Impact or a Wildcat.

Nah. What has come to strike me the most is the, in essence, non adjustable trigger. Sure. There´s like an adjuster on the rod that runs between the trigger blade and the trigger group but to be blunt.. at this level that´s unacceptable. Can it be "rewired" without major surgery? At this point, dunno. Haven´t dug that far into it yet. As i intend to keep this rifle for a while i WILL attend to it however. Rest assured.

Instruction pamphlet that comes with is on the Meta in general, sorts of as a "system" for lack of better words, and already where we´re at there´s a few versions ...as noted. Nothing dedicated for the Premium in other words. Again... build Q is right up there with the big boys, it REALLY is. Just feels like.. they rushed the Meta into the market. Not production per se but the market more so.

What makes me state that?
    Trigger, as i´ve mentioned a zillion times by now, but what´s more.. Now take to heart that i guess i´m not the easiest customer to satisfy and indeed.. when at this level we´ve sure left Kansas and if you opt to play with the big boys that carry pants you´d better be able to back that up.
    Huh?
    Here´s an example...
    O-rings. Their size often being "semi" debatable in many an instance. I build my own moderators and to be truthful that BSA R-10 in 177 i´m still knee deep into set a new bench mark as far as being silent in operation. It became so, partly at least, due attention to detail.

This Meta sounded.. "harsh". So what i did was use a common hanky to see where pressure came out where it should NOT upon firing cause that it did was obvious, and it did. Due that i looked through my box of o-rings and came up with a breech seal one size smaller. Indeed, in a jiffy way better.
    Then it turns out that we experience an ever so minor leak between the valve and the main block (iow valves outside), from what it seems. I know. I know all to well, this IS nitpickin.. No matter, my point is that there´s points/places to be IMPROVED upon.
    Hence, put to the market to soon. I feel they should have given this unit the time of day and let it mature, still kept within the factory gates. What i put forth are small things, to me at least they are, which should have been handled by Reximex at this level.

Will i get by?
    Oh I SURE will! Make no mistake, i´m the dude with lathes, a full on Bridgeport.. AC/DC TIG and what not, you´d better BELIEVE i´ll get by - that´s not the point is it?
    Point is that when average Joe forks over 780£ for an "unknown" he´s entitled to a gun that lives up to par.

It does not?
    Weeeeeell.. yes n no then. I guess. Again. I guess what i´m saying is that this IS a downright fantastic gun and Reximex IS a brand on the move and as such.. i guess this is to be expected? Growing pains. Or is it? I´ll toss the Q back at you guys, at THIS level.. SHOULD even a breech seal be able to be improved upon? We´re talking a common o-ring setup here, it´s not exactly rocket science is it. The o-ring ON the barrel and the one in the spares bag the exact same ones. More importantly issues like this that are CHEAP to remedy. SIMPLE to remedy, yet it wasn´t done. It kind of makes me wonder, cause for the absolute most part the gun is put together with an attention to detail that WILL put FX and so forth to shame. Then.. next breath and "you´re OUTTA here!". Who OK´d this? Why wasn´t this stuff looked into a TON better by Reximex?

Details and just me being anal?
    Maybe so. But that wasps nest right there.. the guys at Reximex simply can´t afford this - IMHO. Which IS a pity cause as i say.. absolutely FANFRIGGINTASTIC rifle on all counts!

Other way around, on closing, so... the put effort into that overkill diffusor setup. Spent time n money on that (which from a practical POW amounts to rather specific ZERO) but fail to drill n tap for regular M3 stoppies on the sear et al.
    Right.
    Just...
    Right.

I do like your post on things we can't have, It reminds me of Jim Bowen on Bullseye:-

"And here's what you could have had"

On a more serious note I do find your posts interesting and informative , keep on tuning and posting.

Hey thx!

Tell you what. Push came to shove and i took the thing apart. Again.
    Now getting the trigger group out of there, and after a bit of thinking.. yep. The sear would most certainly take an adjuster screw. Design even made for it.
    Now.
    Sear is of course out of hardened steel so.. annealed that and took a 2.5mm drill bit to it on the drill press. That.. followed by an M3 tap. Trigger group is "weighed" alright and consists of three parts in essence, and a couple of springs naturally.

Ok. So an M3 allen stoppie that got handed a dab of superglue, basically to NOT move when not asked to (Yes, instead of Loctite)

As it turns out the three parts the hinged on pins, and running rather tight at that. So handed that very light weight oil and moved it around a bit, which helped. Ditto in turn for the actual trigger blade midships... and back in the parts went.

Replaced the one spring with a slightly stiffer one and guess what...

An absolute delight of a two stage trigger. That simple. Breaks like the fabled glass rod.

This truly transformed the gun. All of a sudden you could work with it. MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR difference, and this due ONE mere piece of M3 stoppie.

Very very pleased with the outcome. REAL happy.. Gun came to show me an ENTIRELY different face it felt like.
    Last edited by Racing; 23-11-2023 at 12:57 PM.