Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HW30 Tune

Viewed now. That's lovely, Paul.

Bet it's very quiet, too.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Viewed now. That's lovely, Paul.

Bet it's very quiet, too.
    The silencer looks bigger than the rifles cylinder itself
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Hw30

Yes the Hushwell is big but brings the balance a little and adds a little weight compared to the HW mod. Mach 1.5

So close to 700fps with 7.9grs, thats very good!
    Is it only a kit/seal installation, or does it have other things done to the internals too?
    I had a setup with a vortek seal and some spring I dont remember that was quite powerful some years ago, and actually felt really nice.
    Last edited by evert; 01-12-2023 at 05:12 PM.
    Too many airguns!

HW30 Tune

Spring, guide, tophat, piston liner, Vmach piston seal and a polish here and there. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    Absolutely.
    I sold my custom .177 version but a .22 in pretty much the same guise as Paul's will be landing soon.
    They're just so nice to use.
    What output in .22 ?

Advancing years and poorer eyesight have resulted in having to convert to .22 to see pellet to insert into breech

( unless I can get someone to fix my leaking .25 HF Spitfire !!)

funny how I converted as a teenager to .177 from .22 in 1977 ( Eddie Barber (RIP) , Graham Walker from MAG ( RIP) and Bob Beeman (RIP)

Looking for a short range Rat gun - max 15 yards - My Mk1 HW 50 177 standard untouched since new is only about 6 ft lbs .
    Last edited by BSFNUT; 02-12-2023 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BSFNUT View Post
    What output in .22 ?

Advancing years and poorer eyesight have resulted in having to convert to .22 to see pellet to insert into breech

funny how I converted as a teenager to .177 from .22 in 1977 ( Eddie Barber (RIP) , Alan Walker from MAG ( RIP) and Bob Beeman (RIP)

Looking for a short range Rat gun - max 15 yards - My Mk1 HW 50 177 standard untouched since new is only about 6 ft lbs .
    We may well be a similar age with the references you've made, and my eyes too aren't as good as they used to be but I can still use the .177 calibre. I haven't thought about it until now but I don't think I look at my pellets when loading them, I do it by feel. I will check the next time I'm shooting.
    Form the names you mentioned in 1977 the only one I knew was Graham Walker and he was one of the most genuine gents I've ever known. As a teenager who loved airguns but had no real money Graham helped me get into the hobby and was always there with great advice. He never even charged me the nominal 10p to use the shop chronograph. He and Alan Hamer had a superb shop and a wealth of knowledge to go with it.
    My first (proper) gun was an .22 Airsporter in 1978 but I swapped over to .177 within 12 months and still prefer it for most uses.
    Back to the thread title, I really would like to see how the 30 shoots after it's been worked on by Lyn, if I see you at a Bash Paul and you have it with you, would you mind if I have a little go please? I remember when you bought your new FWB Sport to The Bash, that was an expensive experience for me as I bought one myself after shooting yours and after Dave Price worked on it bringing it up to UK levels. It’s a gun that I don't use every time but when I do, I really enjoy it.
    Last edited by gtfreight; 02-12-2023 at 04:15 AM.

What output in .22 ?
    Paul is getting 8.4fpe out of his in .22, which is plenty.
    My .177 wasn't doing anything close to that and would still trouble spinners at near on 50 yards at the bash.
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

HW30 Tune

Mine is .177 Craig and doing 8.4 ft lbs. I'm looking at buying a .22 cal to see what can be achieved with this in the coming weeks. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    Paul is getting 8.4fpe out of his in .22, which is plenty.
    My .177 wasn't doing anything close to that and would still trouble spinners at near on 50 yards at the bash.
    So how much energy would a setup like this produce in .177"?
    Too many airguns!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Mine is .177 Craig and doing 8.4 ft lbs. I'm looking at buying a .22 cal to see what can be achieved with this in the coming weeks. Mach 1.5
    What brand spring is it running? Mine is still German low power so need to swap it out …

As an approximation, you're generally looking at a 1ft.lbs difference in muzzle energy between .177 and .22 with the 30, pellet & set-up dependant, of course.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

What output in .22 ?

funny how I converted as a teenager to .177 from .22 in 1977 ( Eddie Barber (RIP) , Alan Walker from MAG ( RIP) and Bob Beeman (RIP)

They'll generally do a good 8ft.lbs in .22, more than enough for Ratty at short range. And mine love the RWS Hobby, which also happen to be my favourite ratting pellet.

Might it not also be worth giving that lovely old 50 a service?

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    In my view, that's an excellent achievement. As long as cocking and firing manners are still lovely and it's not overstressed in any way, that's an superb result, although I wouldn't expect any other from Lyn.

Can I have ago too, please, Paul?

30 Tune

Cocking effort is very comfortable and yes Tony you can have a go with pleasure. I've swapped the discovery scope to a leupold 2-7 x 32 now. Mach 1.5