Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: HW30 Tune

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    That’s really startling to get that energy level from a .177 HW30, they don’t get that with the very stiff Vortek spring. Is there a very thin piston washer involved or some other way the stroke is lengthened? I had a .22 that would do 9fpe with the very light Hobby pellets, and I thought that was the most one of these little guns would do, the most a .177 would be good for was a bit over 7fpe. Where has that extra power come from? Did you modify the transfer port? Or is that a trade secret?
    I'm guessing there may be a heavy tophat involved?
    Too many airguns!

Hw30

Following on from the successful tune of my .177 HW30K. One in .22 cal has just been ordered and this one will be glided. I'll report back once completed. Mach 1.5
    Last edited by Mach 1.5; 30-05-2024 at 02:13 PM.

What surprised me about the HW30 was just how much pre-loadcthere was with the standard spring set up. More than some of its high powered siblings I reckon.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Following on from the successful tune of my .177 HW30K. One in .22 cal has just been ordered and this one will be glided. I'll report back once completed. Mach 1.5
    I recently got a 2nd 30 thats had a the LSD treatment which includes a glided piston, lovely little rifle which is doing great work at bell target

Hw30k

It appears to get a little extra FPS out of these then go for the K barrel as in the kit format as the barrel is 1.7 inch shorter than the open sight version if a little FPS is required of course. Mach 1.5

It's going to be lovely, Paul.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    It appears to get a little extra FPS out of these then go for the K barrel as in the kit format as the barrel is 1.7 inch shorter than the open sight version if a little FPS is required of course. Mach 1.5
    I'd guess that removing the choke will gain you about 0.5 - 0.75 FP. So you may want to start with a slightly longer barrel and chop it (did venom do this with the 77 ?) , but there is obviously always some risk to accuracy in that approach, depending on the barrel bore. But this can be teest before chopping. Another route is to lap out some tightness of the choke.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hw30

Be interesting to see what could be achieved with a 10 inch barrel? The factory HW k barrels are 12 inch so I'll stick with this for the time being. Yes JB venom did chop the 77 down..got a couple and they seem to be that little more accurate than the k and less pellets fussy. I think John Bowkett was a fan of chopping the full length 77's down also. Mach 1.5