Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: .20 calibre

I broke up and sold my last. 20 cal rifle. It was a mk4 triggered rapid and was a laser - my go to hunter. I also own 22 and 177 rifles.
    20 cal was the best sub 12 hunter for me but the fact that people are so stuck to 22 or 177 (it's an engrained belonging in the UK, it's seems) means that 20 cal won't get going. I had a fear that the ammo supplies would dry up and jumped ship but she was defo my favourite.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    My MK1 TX was .177, had a very steady predictable recoil, was superbly accurate and grouped tighter than the .22 HC.
    there's always an exception... Physics says a properly tuned .20 will always have less recoil that a similarly tuned .177
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    there's always an exception... Physics says a properly tuned .20 will always have less recoil that a similarly tuned .177
    You are correct as the larger calibre is more efficient. In actual reality and not on paper, does this efficiency equate to a real beneficial improvement in recoil where by it really effects group size.
    Not to my knowledge and experience. Therefore in reality .177 wins at sub 12.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxrman View Post
    You are correct as the larger calibre is more efficient. In actual reality and not on paper, does this efficiency equate to a real beneficial improvement in recoil where by it really effects group size.
    Not to my knowledge and experience. Therefore in reality .177 wins at sub 12.
    yes, defo... especially in lighter hunting type guns (not very heavy underlevers so much, like your TX). We're talking ~ 1.5 FP difference due to a calibre change.. many HFT springer shooters run their guns around 10.5 to get best accuracy.. Well in .20 that's 12fp.. then reduce a bit more for 11.5, more appropriate for hunting, and we have a winner...

And it's not just group size, it's hold sensitivty, which is far harder to avoid in real world, hunting/field situations, not paper punching from a consistent stance.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

.20 Calibre

I agree with many comments that bigger calibres tend to
    be more efficient and have a smoother shot cycle.

Have never shot a .20 springer but it would appear
    to be a logical choice to get good efficiency with
    decent fps.

.20 Cal.

Own / have owned ..HW80, 77, 97, 99, Webley Stingray, Longbow, Tommie. I have a soft spot for the cal. Mach 1.5

.20 is just an excuse to get yet another rifle.

The only thing that matters with sub 12ft/lbs rifles is shot placement. With all the calibres with plenty of practice then what range is what a polo mint can be hit at with very high probability. The .177, due to higher velocity and so flatter trajectory, is found by most people to give a higher hit probability when multi ranges are encountered.

.20 just adds to the fun. Just another calibre to master.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Every calibre is a compromise with the fixed control of sub 12 power

With .177 using a heavy pellet for more "thump" you lose the velocity & therefore lose the flat trajectory
    With .22 using an ultra light pellet for better velocity, it doesn't have the mass to retain it's energy so will lose momentum quicker & retains less impact energy.

Each calibre has an optimal range of pellet weight to give it's best for the sub 12 power limit,
    and it just so happens that .20 gives the best overall compromise of velocity, weight, momentum & surface area at that power level.

It's simple schoolboy physics, nothing more - nothing less.
    But the "advantage" is so slim not to be worth the effort. You have the same argument with variations in. 20 if you go ultra lite to heavy..... oh...... but you can't get them.

So whats the advantage.

I prefer 7.9 grain pellets for mid to longer range. They smack hard at mid to longer. If they have an issue, its over- penetration at certain quarry such as 15 yard pigeon but I just switch to predators or HP's.

The perceived advantage of .20....... which I don't accept.... is outweighed when your choice of ammo is much more limited even if everyone had a full stock from all makers - which they don't.

Its not an advantage. Its not more efficient to any real - practical degree, it isn't supported my pellet makers and its not supported by rifle makers. Limited choice. Even more limited supply.

Its a red herring.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    yes, defo... especially in lighter hunting type guns (not very heavy underlevers so much, like your TX). We're talking ~ 1.5 FP difference due to a calibre change.. many HFT springer shooters run their guns around 10.5 to get best accuracy.. Well in .20 that's 12fp.. then reduce a bit more for 11.5, more appropriate for hunting, and we have a winner...

And it's not just group size, it's hold sensitivty, which is far harder to avoid in real world, hunting/field situations, not paper punching from a consistent stance.
    Ya right again to a point.
    I used to shoot springers a lot and rammers. My first venture into the world of FT was a.22 Taunus and Simmons 20x scope. Also used a .22 HW77 before getting a TX. Calibre change was un real, like learning the answer to a puzzle. Scores went up considerably and especially with the silhouettes. Smaller lighter springers shouldn't be part of a calibre debate just because they jump all over. I just wont shoot one in any calibre as hitting the target is what its all about.
    A nice sedate recoil like a TX or 77 or a Diana 52 (had one running 18ftlbs in .177 years ago), can be very accurate and predictable. If its predictable it can be controlled with a constant grip whether at FT, paper or out in the field. Then PCP came into my life and scores went up again. Cleared several NEFTA league courses with Rapid FT in .177.
    Could I shoot close range rats and mid range squirrels with .20, probably, could I have cleared FT courses inc. silhouettes, rats at close range and squirrels at medium and rabbits out to 50......Nah not with .20.
    VAYA CON DIOS

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    I've never actually owned one. Well, not for long, anyway......I briefly owned a C-series Blue Streak, but it just wasn't the "real thing"!

The .20 does seem to have a fair few fans at sub-12 power levels and many believe it to be the perfect calibre.

Fans will cite the greater efficiency nearing that of the .22 as compared to the .177 and flatter trajectory vs .22 (pellet dependant, of course).

Detractors will point out less forgiving trajectory vs .177, less efficiency than the .22, higher prices and more restricted pellet choice.

Horses for courses.
    Remember my .20 Cal. 80 you kindly took to "The Midlands" Tony some years back, the one I eventually got back "profoundly improved" by the time I had relocated north ?
    I've still not given it time to perform as yet but I'm about to very soon now and it'll come down to the next Bash next spring all being well !
    “An airgun or two”………

I bought a rapid .20 nearly 20 years ago and it wasn’t my favourite as it couldn’t match the .22 for accuracy and yes I tried various pellets, now only three weeks ago I tried the transgender calibre again this time a barrel was fitted to my single loading kral, bought every pellet sample available and just not accurate enough, lack of ammo is a factor for sure.
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Strange then that I can walk in to dealers & find a selection of .20 pellets or even slugs in 3 different weights

just because there are 50+ types of .177/.22 pellet who actually buys/keeps more than the half dozen regular suspects ?

I've got 6 different lead & 4 lead free in .22, 6 different lead in .20, & 5 lead & 1 lead free in .25, & I don't even use all of them because I know which pellet is most accurate in which rifle
    no .177 because I don't shoot paper

Depending which .20 rifle I choose I know I can shoot a magazine of either FTT, JSB exact or Predator Polymags in to a ragged single hole group at 25yds, so accuracy is fine.

Trouble with slugs in 12ftlbs guns is the slugs used are usually tighter in the bore apposed to pellets. This in turn loses fps. Slugs have more surface area than pellets. I've tried the zan 20cal slugs. But don't know of any other.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Remember my .20 Cal. 80 you kindly took to "The Midlands" Tony some years back, the one I eventually got back "profoundly improved" by the time I had relocated north ?
    I've still not given it time to perform as yet but I'm about to very soon now and it'll come down to the next Bash next spring all being well !
    Oh yes, I do indeed, John. It'll be lovely to see that arrive with you in May.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Strange then that I can walk in to dealers & find a selection of .20 pellets or even slugs in 3 different weights

just because there are 50+ types of .177/.22 pellet who actually buys/keeps more than the half dozen regular suspects ?

I've got 6 different lead & 4 lead free in .22, 6 different lead in .20, & 5 lead & 1 lead free in .25, & I don't even use all of them because I know which pellet is most accurate in which rifle
    no .177 because I don't shoot paper

Depending which .20 rifle I choose I know I can shoot a magazine of either FTT, JSB exact or Predator Polymags in to a ragged single hole group at 25yds, so accuracy is fine.

It depends on what your doing with the gun I guess, Ive been shooting benchrest and have over 20 various sleeves of .177 pellets and at least 40-50 various tins opened as we search for the magic die or batch, Ive got 50 plus tins of .22 with 18 tins of those one particular die/batch of express, then we often wash, weigh, size them.

Luckily Id say 50% of my worst BR pellets get used up pesting as the need for exact accuracy is gone and as long as I can hit the vermin’s head its job done, and the rest get used chronoing or shotcount testing

The recent .20 barrel was for benchrest and just didn’t shoot well enough for me to carry on buying tins of different pellets hoping to get one that rocks, I think the best pellet was the heavier jsb and I couldn’t get a 10 shot group under 50p, some didn’t stay on the bisley cards at 40yd and I had 6 fresh samples sent and a few older pellet samples from a mate. As we know all barrels are different and I just haven’t been lucky with the .20’s. The most recent.22 barrel test was unsuccessful too so it proves no two barrels are the same, but at least with the two common calibres we get lots of chances to find a pellet
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars